climberbro16

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Climberbro -

A cheap and effective alternative is to carry both waterproof and breathable pants. I carry totally breathable nylon windpants and lightweight waterproof rain pants, and the combination weighs no more than some of my friends' goretex pants from TNF (but a little more than some of the lighter alternatives). If it is cold or clear I leave the waterproof pants at home. The wind pants provide much greater breathability than goretex and they shed snow or light rain just fine (even wet Cascade snow), and when it really rains or I'm going to wallow in wet snow such as when building a snow cave, I'm usually better off in my waterproof pants than are my friends wearing goretex.

-Matt

I generally take a pair of cheap $20 coated nylon rain pants on wall routes. It's way light, and with full side zips you get your "breathing". If it's raining the WPB doesnt work for shit anyway, and why spend the bennies on something you'll kick holes in? Wear regular fleece, or whatever pants for breathability and insulation and layer on the nylon shell if it's wet. My set of jacket and pants coated nylon weighs less than my lightweight 3ply G-tex shell by itself, and this is one of the self-proclaimed "ultralight shells". I paid like $35 for the set, and it works fine. Side zips up to at least the mid thigh are crucial for venting and getting them on and off quickly over crampon laden mtn boots. About the only time I use WPB bottoms (and maybe this is because I only have bibs in WPB) is when conditions are very cold and windy. To be honest, I've used my bibs more for snowboarding than climbing and I don't get to ride very often. OTOH, I've worn my schoeller dryskin pants on almost every snow/ice route I've done since I bought them.

For pants, it's tough to beat wool. Wool is wind-proof and offers plenty of warmth when wet, it sheds powder better than polar fleece, plus it gives better friction than wind/rain gear when you're trying to perform a team arrest above a big bergschrund. Wool has a great comfort range; it will keep you warm sitting around camp yet it's somehow cool enough for hiking up hills. But on a really soupy day, I'll put on a pair of off-brand WPB pants. Buy the cheapest and lightest, then plan on patching them as needed. Some of these bibs/pants are incredibly heavy, and climbers tend to put them on when the first wind comes up because their pile pants aren't doing anything to cut the wind. I wear wool and almost never put on rain pants, and when the weather really stinks, I just go home. This is a formula that works for me, for weekend warrior stuff. If you're going on an extended trip into the mountains, you might want some stout WPB rain pants and polar fleece (since it dries so quickly).

------------------------------------------------

Caution: my unit is even bigger than it appears in your side mirror.