[TR] Goat Wall, Mazama, WA - Sisyphus 5/23/2007

Kane

Ok, so if you have not been on this route, then you should go. The rock on the face is top quality as far as Mazama goes. The crux is a slab 5.11 but its protected with too many bolts. Actually, just about all of the route is well protected, except for one at the begging of a 10 where you walk 30 feet out to the first bolt. Only one "move the belay" which beats the hell out of what I have seen from topos of other routes. Easy Approach, pm if you have questions.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Layton;

Did you ever find the start of Restless Native? As you no doubt noticed it is just a wee bit damp at the moment. No question: It is the best route on GW. If you have not done it Bryan's new book is due out soon and will help.

Scott

PS; Glad you liked it. Thanks for the cudos to Larry and me. It was the proverbial Sisypean task but inthe end it was worth all the work.

Edited by scott_johnston

Hey Scott, no I never did find it! But i'm sure there will be another rainy day at the pass where goat wall will be the bailure of choice! Actually, Sisyphus is just as much fun as a lot of more alpine WAPass rock routes! Tons o' Fun and AWESOME moves.

I'm psyched for Burdo's new guide.

Yea, fellas!

Who all is coming to the Event! Ill be there, and I bet Josh will be there representing Basecamp. Scott have we meet? Guessing your a guide with larry. Yea, route was sweet, now I wanna get on Restless Native.

• 4 weeks later...

My friend KC and I ran up this and Prime Rib last weekend. Sisyphus is definitely the better of the two routes and pitches 1&2 and 10&11 can be linked so it is more like a 9 pitch route.

However the grade is a bit generous and I think Sisyphus is more like a one move wonder vs. anything sustained in nature so don't be shy if you find yourself wanting to do it and think it might be difficult.

Here are some aids for locating the route:

IMG_9660_route.jpg

Approximate Route - note the lone pine tree

IMG_9616.jpg

Lone pine tree below route aids in finding the line

IMG_9622.jpg

KC leading the 3rd pitch ~5.10- which has an easy traverse to the first bolt but watch for rotten rock in the gully.

IMG_9642.jpg

Moi on the crux pitch about to make that 1 move

IMG_9651.jpg

KC coming up the last pitch

Topo is linked here for those who want it:

Sisyphus Topo

Cheers!

Edited by 512dude