Packs??

Dennis_the_Menace

Fell into a little mad money that the spouse does not know about and shopping for new pack.

Small & lightweightNot to be used for planned overnight stay.Capable of carrying multi-pitch trad rack, and minimal essentials (water bottle, light WP jacket, first aid, etc)Minimal straps and gadgets on outsideCan double as light alpine pack or ice pack. (has ice axe loops or tubes)

Been looking at the Black Diamond packs, zippo, ice pack, snow pack.

Suggestions?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't need tool tubes or can get by with a single tool loop then look at the Serratus Genie (?). It is a super light and super inexpensive pack. For the cost you can save your mad money for a more expensive item. I got mine for <$40 new at MEC and it has worked well. When you pick it up at MEC go by and get a piece of their really thin bivy foam (~ 1/8"). Then, fold it a couple times and cut to size for the pack - it will be a bit more comfortable if you carry much hardware in the pack.

serratus genie has 2 tool loops. at least mine does. but i prefer the arcteryx khamsin 30 as a day-pack. the k-30 has a lighter webbing hipbelt that doesnt get in the way of your harness when you are climbing the way the thicker hip belt on the khamsin-38 does.

the serratus aladdin (?) is like a cut price Nozone, a bit smaller. i heard it is good too. check out www.serratus.com for details or look in the MEc catalogue.

I've been pleased with the Lafuma 32 liter model in terms of comfort and versatility. However, I'm a little worried about the gear loops, as one of them pulled out when snagged on unaggressive brush. I don't know if this is a problem of other packs but it's something to keep in mind. I've heard lots of good reports on the Khamsin.

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

Never used the Kam&(*& I can say I have two packs I use for most everything. They are the Lafuma32 and Wild Things Ice sac. I would assume you would be able to figure out when to use one or the other
wink.gif" border="0

Hey Cavey, looks like you're about ready to blow your stack. Work finally catch up with ya? hahahahahahahah

quote:

Originally posted by adr_901:

Just bought the Marmot Eiger at REI for about 60 bucks on sale. Havent tested it yet. Bought for use as a lightweight alpine pack. Its no frills, narrow profile, light weight. two ice tool loops

I second the Eiger, I really like mine. I have used mine a ton of times, and it is very comfortable. I have used it on 2 day climbs too, recommend getting the large. Da*n! $60.

[Wazzup]

Today took Wild Things Andinista for the third time with a heavier load, 55 lb, and think I lost money on the damn thing. Can't pinpoint why, but it really hurts my back. Wild Things makes packs for different torso lengths, one must choose the proper size!

A week or so ago climbed a steeper hill with the same 55 lbs in a BD Ice Pack 50 and it was perfect both up and down the hill! Also used it in Banff. I really like it and the price is right.

Lafuma is another very good pack.

I like the Granite Gear Arete. Cheap. Comfortable with a reasonable load (35# or so). 2500 cubic inches, two loops, 1 daisy chain, quick release compression straps connect to a back flap for a shovel or whatever, wand pockets, good sized top pocket, lightly padded waist belt doesn't get in the way, and it only weighs a bit over 2 pounds. You will want a bigger pack for overnight trips. For some reason the small Granite gear packs seem to carry loads better, and less obtrusively, than a lot of flashier packs that I have tried.

I know everyone hates TNF around here but even a blind squirrel finds a nut everyonce in a while. Any of the prophet series packs (45,55,65) are good and light weight w/carbon stays and are compleatly removable to further reduce weight. Also the Springbok is rather cool. Has a full side zip and same fram as the prophet different pack cloth. I think the Sbok weighs in @ 3lbs10oz. Worth a look

miker,

I had a Kelty Redwing several years ago that was a panel-loader. I found that feature to be more annoying than helpful. I switched to a TNF Exocet, which was ok, and currently use an Arc'teryx Khamsin (I can't remember if it's the 30 or 38), and LOVE IT! Very lightweight, good capacity, plenty of features like side ski pockets and shock cord attachment thingy.

quote:

Originally posted by miker:
Has anyone tried the Kelty Redwing 2900? I am interested in a good pack for rock climbing hikes, no alpine. It looks good, but I have never used a Kelty pack and was curious about there 'rep'.

miker(97 posts)

I had one for a couple of years and for some reason, it always drove me nuts. mad.gif" border="0 It was always a little too small to get everything into or a little too big and snaggin on brush or getting in the way. The compression straps dont work great but, it is very cheap and hard to beat the price on the REI outlet website. Still, I'd say keep looking.

On a different subject, I'm looking for a very small, light, summit pack like the BD Bullet or Lowe Attack Summit, something around 1 - 1.5 lbs and less than $50. I may just get an Eddie Bauer book bag for that matter. ($19.95)

I am such a gear slut!! grin.gif" border="0

I've got the arc'teryx Nozone - I compared it against the Khamsin and thought the suspension was better, and the pack rode a bit lower so I don't bop the back of my head as much when gawking routes. As far as bells and whistles, it has a pair of loops and a shovel pocket on the back (where I normally shove my camelbak). Got mine as a used demo at Second Bounce.

that's not just a shovel pocket that is a Tech Flap that can take crampons AND shovel plus two axes, or other stuff like your helmet, rope & hydration bladder in summer. and removable for lightweightness.

NOZONE... its not just the GHOST STRAPS TM that make it so awe-inspiring.

OOops...I dont write catalogue spew anymore. In fact i never did wink.gif" border="0