[TR] Downton Chronicles Part XII - Endless Run in the Season that Won't End 5/26/2007

jordop

Trip: Downton Chronicles Part XII - Endless Run in the Season that Won't End

Date: 5/26/2007

Trip Report:

JMace and I went looking for some steep couloirs last weekend and though we got snowed on and ended up doing some moderate snow scrambling instead of real climbing, we spotted this killer deal on the drive out:

DowntonBranch3.jpg

The thing looked like one of the best runs I'd ever seen. On the map it was 2500' from summit to treeline. I've explored pretty much the enitre Downton now, climbed pretty much all of the 26 odd peaks that encompass the 40 odd kilometers of alpine ridges that cirlce the headwaters, but never really thought about the skiing in there. Layton and I had climbed this thing a few years ago while trying to enchain the whole traverse, and I vaguely rememebred some cool ski stuff back there.

Surprisingly, PB and KT were down on this, seeing just how far this ridiculous ski season could be extended. After only about 20 mins of carrying our skis we were skinning up through open timber and into the bowls. Amazing ski terrain. The run looked killer, but the weather wouldn't fully clear. We couldn't get up the final summit chute due to crazy ass winds and blowing snow, so we gave 'er from the NW shoulder:

Melvin1.jpg

The run goes in about 3 main parts. Off the upper bits:

Melvin2.jpg

Then into the main parts of the slope:

melvin3.jpg

And then the final bottom third which is this wicked twin bobsled run on morainal drainages, PB and KT each coming down different sides:

melvin4.jpg

Skied right down back into the cut block, 20 mins hiking to car.

This run is freakin incredbile, on par with Cayoosh N glacier for sure. Peak is unnamed, ski season is still all upons :rawk:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic