quick - solo ideas?

kevino

So, my usual climbing partner has a gnarly concussion and won't be able to climb this weekend. However, I possibly have a ride to leavenworth area. Instead of bouldering with him I was thinking of doing a solo up in the colchuck lake area. Just looking for some fun yet safe solo climbs in that area. I was thinking the NBC of colchuck or something along those lines...Thanks for the input. :cool:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think NBC on Colchuck is an excellent solo outing -- steep enough to be exciting, exposed in places, but mostly very secure and enjoyable...plus a relatively straightforward descent down the glacier.

From the Colchuck/D-tail Col, you could scramble (there's that word again!) up Dragontail too as a solo bonus...

Well, looks as if my partner is going to man up, so stuart is on! Anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions, definitely going to be hitting up one of those next weekend.

The traverse sounds really appealing.

Edited by kevino

So, my usual climbing partner has a gnarly concussion and won't be able to climb this weekend. However, I possibly have a ride to leavenworth area. Instead of bouldering with him I was thinking of doing a solo up in the colchuck lake area. Just looking for some fun yet safe solo climbs in that area. I was thinking the NBC of colchuck or something along those lines...Thanks for the input. :cool:

Just rope solo the Girth Pillar, there's probaby a ton of fixed Neutrinos on that route so you won't need to bring too much gear

what y'all think of the north ridge without gendarme? never been on route but was wondering what people think about the route as a solo?

if you also skip the lower ridge than it's a very sane solo, albeit extraordinarily ghey for having skipped the two insanely best parts of the whole climb :)

what y'all think of the north ridge without gendarme? never been on route but was wondering what people think about the route as a solo?

If you skip the gendarme, there is a 75 foot rapell. And if you go to early you will cross snow or wet rock to get over to the route after the rapell.

""Not sure if I would recommend SGC to anyone as a solo *unless* they have done the route before... way easy to get off route on the ridge""

Yes, I can attest to getting off route on the ridge. We did and ended up with 9 pitches (instead of 6 per Nelson's book) and lost valuable time.