Liberty ridge - gear question

BlackSheep

Ok, so I'm heading down for liberty ridge next week. I had been planning on bringing a mountain axe and an ice tool each, my thought was that if pure ice conditions were encountered then the leader could take both tools and the second would have to sketch along with two axes... or lower the tools down.

The most recent post on the route conditions blog mentions quite a bit of ice and not so much the deep early season snow, and I'm considering bringing both tools per person.

anyone have any thoughts on this? does everyone bring two tools on this route?

Thanks!

Edited by BlackSheep

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two tools is overkill IMO. The route is just not that steep. Take a moutaineering axe and one tool. The Black Pyramid barely approaches WI 2. While the bergshrund crossing above can involve steeper terrain, it's short. If necessary, the leader can climb with a borrowed tool and then lower both tools to the second.

Did LR last May with 1-venom and 1-cobra, 2 venoms would be lighter and would work out great for LR. We climbed from thumb unroped until the shrund then simul to top. It's a great route! :fahq:

Edited by Skatan

It will depend on your French technique familiarity.

I've seen a range from people bent over frontpointing with two ice tools and placing ice screws to skilled french techniqe and a walking axe. Defintely leave the aluminum crampons at home and bring steel ones though.

thanks for all the input guys, it confirmed what I was thinking

we are working off the post wedding hangovers and heading up there today.

looks like it will be good bivy sack weather.

I'll post a TR next week

yep going with axe and tool.

cheers!

I was just up there and summitted via Liberty Ridge on Memorial Day. I used a 70 cm axe and a 50 cm tool. That worked well for me and I thought it was the perfect combination. Whoever leads the ice though will need two ice tools. Here's a picture of the ice.

Liberty_Ridge_096.jpg

Out of curiosity, where did you approach from? I did Lib Ridge last July, put in at White River. I haven't been up to Rainier NP since all of the storms, looking to do a couple of routes near the end of June and trying to suss out some options. We are either looking to spend a week on Hood doing some North side routes, maybe Eliot Glacier Headwall or spend a week on Rainier, undecided on route(s) at this point. Depends on what is in. Any beta?