Hydration bladder bursts?

rob

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nalgene Bladders suck in a massive way. Had two leak on a single trip.

Switched to MSR dromedary bags and have been very impressed. Even dropped an 8-L bag that we brought along on a desert trip 5-6 feet onto a flat stone surface and it held up just fine.

i used to use dromedary bags but stopped because whenever i filled them up from a stream, or glacier, or anywhere else where the outside of the bag came in contact with water, the outer fabric material would absorb the water. As a result, when in my backpack, anything that touched the bag got wet too. kinda sucked...

Yep

double double yep yep

I have had as many Nalgenes break (1) as I have had bladders leak, and I have never had a bladder explode. I used to be wary of them.

There's more problems with these bags than leaks. Consider these top 10 reasons why hydration systems "suck": (I wrote this for the Tip of the Week on the Mazamas site.)

1. The tubes can freeze.

2. There are too many delicate parts (tubes, bladders, mouthpiece bite valves) that can easily break or malfunction, and they’re hard to repair.

3. They have lots of hard to clean cracks and crevices where funky microorganisms can grow.

4. They’re hard to fill, either from streams or with snow.

5. It’s difficult to monitor your water consumption and see how much you have left.

6. It’s hard to share water with others.

7. The mouthpiece can easily drag in the dirt when you put your pack on the ground.

8. You can’t use a bladder in camp as a cup for hot drinks.

9. You can’t easily put hot water in a bladder and put a sock over it at night, to help dry out wet socks.

10. They’re very expensive compared to a simple water bottle.

11. (Bonus reason: Unless you’re an adventure racer, are you REALLY in that much of a hurry that you can’t stop and enjoy a drink of water?)

So, how to stay well watered on the go? Simply clip a “keychain” mini-biner to a pack shoulder strap or side compression strap, and clip a one-pint Nalgene bottle to the biner. (Or put a water bottle in one of the stretchy mesh pockets on the side of your pack, a feature of many newer models.) Start the climb or hike with two full 1 liter bottles inside your pack, and simply refill the small bottle at breaks. This lets you easily drink on the move just as effectively as a bladder system, with none of the cost and hassles. When your climbing partners complain about their problems with their “hydration systems” you will chuckle . . . and then give them some water from your pint bottle.

Oh, and, check the water bottle aisle next time you’re in REI. Camelback’s newest offering is not a turbo titanium new bladder backpack system, but, you guessed, it, a simple water bottle (complete with large Camelback logo.) A tad ironic, no?

Johngo- I agree with you some of the time. In winter I usually do not carry a 'hydration system'. However, I have a few quibbles with some of your points (and on summer alpine climbs and for backpacking I often DO carry such a system).

1. I am not an adventure racer, but the countless times you would have to remove your pack to get a drink (if the water bottle is inside) would add up and I am often trying to be relatively fast.

2. Some of your points would be valid if you ONLY carry a camelback (hard to fill, use for in-camp, drying socks???). On trips when I have a camelback I ALWAYS have a lightweight bottle, too (mostly to address said issues above).

3. I HATE having a water bottle clipped to me bouncing around on the trail (and yes I have tried the 1/2 liter small bottles). Also, using said system is NOT AS EASY as a camelback, for which you need not even stop.

So, in hot weather especially, I find I am better hydrated and it is more convenient to use a CamelBak. That isn't to say you should, or anyone else should. It is personal preference, but don't discount the idea if it works for you.

One more point against camelbacks: most systems are much, much heavier than a water bottle.

• 3 weeks later...

I have gone through numerous bladders (Camelback and Platpus, haven't tried MSR). They are a sack and yes they wear out or pop, that is one of the downsides of saving weight. I personally don't use them for climbing mainly because of issues of leaking. Also after a few times having the teat come off and having water pouring down my arm while trying to jam, I have decided they are not good for climbing. I don't use them for skiing/boarding because all it takes is one fall where you land on your back and "pop" your wet in winter. Hiking and cycling is what I use them for, and I have had numerous ones pop from mountain bike crashes. There is saying and it goes like this, "shit happens."

3. I HATE having a water bottle clipped to me bouncing around on the trail (and yes I have tried the 1/2 liter small bottles). Also, using said system is NOT AS EASY as a camelback, for which you need not even stop.

I find that more annoying than getting cooled off with my bladder breaking. When climbing though, I use nalgene bottles, and just carry it while I hike. It makes it difficult to use some geaked out trekking poles though. Clipping a bottle on your pack is useless, I hate it when my partner asking me to get their bottle off their pack.

I have had concerns with bladder bursts (no, I don't want to be a baby...most of the time) but thankfully have never had an issue. I also just bought the Switch 25+5 pack from Osprey (last year's model), and they have a pretty nifty way of getting around the burst issue. It's actually two packs in one, with the bladder in a totally separate lightweight bladder pack, that is independent of the main compartments of the pack. Sure, it's probably not the most lightweight way to go (although I haven't really noticed the weight). Oh, and one of the pack straps also acts as a bladder hose insulator so you don't get the hose-freeze thing in cold conditions. The pack is also extremely well-organized and fits what seems like a ton of stuff for its size. It's billed as a backcountry ski/snowboard pack, but it's great for light alpine stuff, too. And, if you want to use it for trail running or a super-light adventure, you can just pull the bladder pack out. It holds up to a 3-liter bladder, which is great. I always pack at least an extra Nalgene anyway, but I love being able to hydrate without stopping. Anyway, if you couldn't tell already, I'm a big fan. :grin:

I usually make a clippable water bottle out of a 12-20 oz plastic pop/water bottle (and one of those handy spouts) using some duct tape and old bail webbing scrounged from the Tooth. I make about one per season, as they start to get pretty gross around late September.

I clip them on my pack WHERE I CAN REACH IT when I'm hiking (with a keylock biner). Clipping to shoulder straps work pretty well. The bottle can get annoying bouncing around when it's full or too big, so if I'm running or moving fast, I'll just hold it in my hand. For climbing, just clip to harness.

I've been using disposable water bottles like this for a number of years now. I regularly crush them when empty to save space, inflate them again for use, and generally mistreat them. Over many years of this practice and frequent reuse of bottles, only once has one sprung a slight slow leak, and it still worked OK till the end of the day.

Also, those big two-liter pop bottles make great lightweight water containers for around camp and also work well for those rare occasions in the Cascades when you actually want to be hauling around two full liters of water in your pack. They're totally lightweight, amazingly durable (see comment above about excellent record of non-breakage) and take almost no space when crushed down.

I've often toyed with getting one of those waterbag dealies, figuring it would make me all fast and light. They defintely seem like they would be tons better when moving fast (i.e. jogging). But after reading all these comments I think maybe I'll spend my REI dividend on titanium sporks.

I already have a ti-spork. Does REI stock these "two-liter pop bottle hiking and climbing water container"?

Ulee's camelback valve kept on coming out + it leaked on Kat in the car. I may have to try your hightech approach with him next time to regulate the water intake.

I use one or two x one liter Talking Rain bottles cinched to the front of my pack straps at chest level using bicycle toe clip straps on all trips except technical rock climbs. It's a good way to distribute the weight, they don't get in the way of anything or bounce, and they're always readily accessible. Best of all worlds.

Anyone tried the systems that use a hose and a Nalgene? Seems like it would address some of the issues raised here.

I have that system in a BCA pack designed for winter ski/board day trips. I use the pack for day ski and climbing trips. it works well, although it has frozen on me in spite of the insulated tube, which is routed through a shoulder strap.

It is easily removeable and could be placed in any pack. The biggest downside is weight. It only works with Nalgene bottles and that means heavy. Add the tube, etc. and you have one of the heaviest systems out there probably. For day trips I don't care so much, but multi-day climbing trips where you are really trying to go light...

I had one platypus develope a small pinhole leak. However my current one has been going strong for several years. When backpacking I usually stap it under the large pouch on my backpack, usually where a helmet would go so if it does rip the water doesnt end up in my pack. The only other problem is putting your pack on and having the nipple get pressed open in between your pack and your back but its a minor inconvenince.

• 1 month later...

okay, I guess CCrs are not into swinging =^)

Easy solution: a small tied loop of bungee cord on the pack shoulder strap. The bottom of the 16 oz. bottle attaches with a snap, and there's no bouncing - which I find annoying as well. It's not perfect, but still an improvement over bladder systems, IMHO.

Dru/G-spotter, can you enlighten us with your prefered water carry method, since you are clearly 359% less dorky than I am?

It sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.

I've been using the same camel back hydration bladder for 8 years (yes, 8 years. I used it for mountain biking before I started climbing ~5 years ago). I have never had any problems with it and I'm actually not very careful with it. (actually one time the tube popped off when I sat on it in an empty pack, oops. but that only happens one....). About a month ago it finally got a tiny pin hole size leak near the cap. duct tape stopped the leak for the climb, but I threw it away after. I figured it had served it useful life. I switched to my other camel back that is 7 years old. As expected I've had zero problems with it. Not sure why so many people have problems with their bladders. I guess you either love them or hate them. In the winter or on something like Rainier, it does require extra attention (insulation tubes, caps, blowing water back out) and yes the tube had frozen on me when I wasn't careful but that has only happened 4 or 5 times to me but considering the number of times I used it and how much I like it, I don't see a reason to stop using a system that works so well. But I always carry a .5-L nalgene for stream side fill ups.