Hydration bladder bursts?

rob

Last weekend, my Naglene hydration bladder burst a seam. Has anybody else had this happen? I was pretty unhappy about it.

Not sure I trust these things anymore. It wasn't full and my pack was pretty light, it's not like it was being squished or anything. The top seam just came apart.

Weak.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last weekend, my Naglene hydration bladder burst a seam. Has anybody else had this happen? I was pretty unhappy about it.

That is lame Rob. My partner had his explode on the decent from Stuart about 9 years ago and his down jacket got wet. Luckily he did not need the jacket for an emergency bivy. But he has since switched to nalgene bottles.

I've always been pretty careful, too.

It looks like the weld at the top seam just came undone. It doesn't look like anything ripped, or actually "burst" due to pressure or anything.

I'm not sure if this was a manufacturing defect, or if these sorts of things "just happen."

P.S.

at least it wasn't the seam at the bottom that blew out :noway:

Edited by robmcdan

yeah, i had my nalgene bladder rip in the bugaboos last year (it ripped along a crease that had formed along the side of the bladder). thankfully a buddy had brought an extra nalgene bottle so i was okay. have since switched to the camelback bladder. it's a thicker plastic and so far it's held up pretty well. also has a bite valve that can be locked closed and doesn't pop off the tubing every 5 seconds!

I had a 10 year old camelback bladder leak when crack developed at the screwtop opening. They have since redesigned that part of the bladder. Otherwise I haven't had those problems. I do keep them in a waterproof stuff sack to minimize problems just in case it does leak. And I always bring an extra nagelene bottle as a backup and to make it easier to fill the bladder from trickles.

try the MSR Dromedary bags, they are tuff!!

i used to use dromedary bags but stopped because whenever i filled them up from a stream, or glacier, or anywhere else where the outside of the bag came in contact with water, the outer fabric material would absorb the water. As a result, when in my backpack, anything that touched the bag got wet too. kinda sucked...

THAT is hilarious. :laf:

My reasons for not using a bladder: 1) you never know how much is left until its gone; 2) once you refill them, good luck getting them back in your full pack after all your other gear has settled into it's place; 3) the mouthpiece can freeze; 4) they're a pain to clean (if you remember to); 5) ever pull the the tube from the bottom of the bladder? You panic and thrash around trying to stop the deluge into your pack just as it completely empties all over your clothes. That's fun. :tdown:

This is a bit off topic, but put those bread or newspaper bags around nalgenes or soft bladder type deals to keep any condensation, drippage, absorbed water etc off clothing.

I've not had a bladder explode on me though.

So far so good.

-r

Not sure I trust these things anymore. It wasn't full and my pack was pretty light, it's not like it was being squished or anything. The top seam just came apart.

Weak.

I've never had a bladder burst on me. On climbs, I usually use them for summit day only when my pack is mostly empty. When it's below freezing I use extra care to keep the tube and nozzle from freezing.

I may do a carry over next month which will make me rethink using a bladder though since my pack will be stuffed full on summit day.

I've never had major problems with them, but I'm a hiker much more than a climber, so the puncture issue could be a problem I just haven't had.

That said, if you want to buy a hydration system, I think the Nalgene/TFO ones are the best. The bite valve is positive and locks shut, and the bags themselves are pretty bomber. I had one get a little hole in it in '04 that I put wide clear tape on, still ticking. The newer ones have a really big cap on them that allows for better cleaning. All the hydration bags can get funky if they don't get properly dried out between trips, but one solution that seems to work quite well is to store it wet (empty) in the freezer. No greeblies!! :tup:

I always bring an old 20 oz Gatorade bottle as a backup and because it's a lot easier to pour out of/brush teeth with etc. than a hydration thing. They weigh one oz. including the lid and are free with the purchase of Gatorade. They are good for a month or so before they get icky.

try the MSR Dromedary bags, they are tuff!!

i used to use dromedary bags but stopped because whenever i filled them up from a stream, or glacier, or anywhere else where the outside of the bag came in contact with water, the outer fabric material would absorb the water. As a result, when in my backpack, anything that touched the bag got wet too. kinda sucked...

Yep

I had a bladder explode all over my backside during an adventure race once.

Of course, I landed on dead on top of it (in a fanny pack) after a Charlie Brown style backflip on roller blades. It acted like an air bag, but with, you know, water in it, and probably literally saved my ass.

All seriousness aside, I've been using Gregory bladders and I like the positive screw top and durability.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I often use one collapsible water bottle and one gatorade style bottle when trying to go light. I recently had a collapsible bottle (nalgene) spring a leak on the seam and had to use only the gatorade bottle for the rest of the trip. inconvenient but not incapacitating. fortunately, the nalgene collapsible bottles carry lifetime leak warranties, so simply return for new. It had lasted the better part of two years of fairly regular use.

FYI (based on memory, but should be close, these are weighed on a kitchen food-type digital scale):

Nalgene Lexan: 6.5 oz

Nalgene collabsible: 2.5 oz

Gatorade: 3.5 oz

I have used a hydration bladder for 5+ years now.

They really rock. My nephew had his blow out, and it really sounds like it would suck. :cry: I have had one spring a leak, but that was my fault. :crazy:

When inside the pack I put the bladder in a garbage bag, and keep all cloths in their own garbage bag in a stuff sack.

If it is not raining it has just stopped raining about to start.

I always bring two extra filled Naglenes with GU2O, my preferred hydration drink. :brew:

Ready hydration is a great plus. :tup:

Not knowing when it is out big minus. :tdown:

To keep it from freezing I use isolation around the tube and blow air back through the tube after drinking

I thought that I posted?

I love my Camelback now that I put a worm-gear clamp on the nipple. Sliced mine once w/ a knife - repaired w/ a bike tire patch kit. The o-ring drips if not tightened nicely.

My Cammelbacks, however, have survived some realy long chimneys - Bulletheads, Squamish, and Epinephrine, RR come to mind.

I've had my bladder for years and even though it has, many times, felt like it would burst during road trips and heavy beer drinking sessions, it hasn't and it's still good to go.

although, I have noticed some leakage, lately, and the fluid is developing a funky taste.