Worst climb

kevbone

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So….what makes a climb bad? To me usually the protection or lack of protection makes a climb scary therefore not enjoyable, due to fear of dying. Although some climbs the movement is lame as well.

I guess climbs are bad when they have no holds.

I would say the worst climb I have ever done is White Wedding at Smith Rock. If it’s not the worst, it for surely ranks as one of the worst.

How about you?

i think you mean wedding day...or are you trying to *ahem* boast??

I'm not sure I would say it's "the worst" or even a bad climb, but the butt lips chimney pisses me off -- mostly because I always end up doing such a thrutch job in there.

If I could climb it in better style, I'm sure I'd like it more.

I would say the worst climb I have ever done is White Wedding at Smith Rock. If it’s not the worst, it for surely ranks as one of the worst.

How about you?

Oh yeah....Wedding Day....thanks for the correction....its 10.b right. That climb sucks. I almost sold my rack and never climbed again after that experience.

So….what makes a climb bad? To me usually the protection or lack of protection makes a climb scary therefore not enjoyable, due to fear of dying. Although some climbs the movement is lame as well.

I guess climbs are bad when they have no holds.

IMNTBHO

bad climbs are generally ones that are put up where there is no true line. they are unaesthetic and cause you to not enjoy the climb because there is no flow. just because a rock has features does not mean there is a good climb there.

Oh sorry. Because it sucks.

The wierd width of that climb right in the spots where there is the tiniest bit of overhang makes it uncomfortable for someone who doesn't like ow's to start with--moi.

Hmmm, I just remember jugs and laybacks. Sometimes the approach one takes makes all the difference in the world.

I try not to dislike a climb just because I lack a peculiar skill needed for it. Sometimes though we just don't have the right body type for a given climb. Hands too big, hands too small, too tall, too short, etc.

Some climbs are just plain ugly though.

Considering the subject of climbs with no holds...

I find that climbs that in the past had no holds suddenly sprout jugs when I climb them again with better skills. It's miraculous, really.

Edited by catbirdseat

A crag on Arthur's Seat, Scotland. I went up there in tennis shoes and put my self into a situation of zero protection, mossy wet rock, 50 feet of exposure, and scared as shit leg jitters that almost made me peel off.

Nearly died. Oh, did I mention I had tennis shoes???? :noway:

IMNTBHO

bad climbs are generally ones that are put up where there is no true line. they are unaesthetic and cause you to not enjoy the climb because there is no flow. just because a rock has features does not mean there is a good climb there.

Sounds like BBQ the Pope to me!

Oh, and I'll add Gumby.

How about you?

Oh yeah....Wedding Day....thanks for the correction....its 10.b right. That climb sucks. I almost sold my rack and never climbed again after that experience.

Ooops, I forgot the quote... Anyways, I love this climb, it's one of my favorites at Smithy. Some crimps, some jugs, great feet, whats not to like?

How about you?

I remember this. I was there that day... :lmao:

How about you?

I remember this. I was there that day... :lmao:

I don't understand. This is a good climb. What is the problem?

The wierd width of that climb right in the spots where there is the tiniest bit of overhang makes it uncomfortable for someone who doesn't like ow's to start with--moi.

Hmmm, I just remember jugs and laybacks. Sometimes the approach one takes makes all the difference in the world.

I try not to dislike a climb just because I lack a peculiar skill needed for it. Sometimes though we just don't have the right body type for a given climb. Hands too big, hands too small, too tall, too short, etc.

Some climbs are just plain ugly though.

Considering the subject of climbs with no holds...

I find that climbs that in the past had no holds suddenly sprout jugs when I climb them again with better skills. It's miraculous, really.

Well, I have only been climbing for eleven years, so maybe I just haven't learned to take the right approach yet. :rolleyes:

roger's has offwidthing??????? hmmmm...don't recall that...