American terrorists

ashw_justin

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"But she declared that a fire set at a Eugene police substation was terrorism because it was a direct attack on government. The Romania Chevrolet SUV dealership arson was terrorism because the communique said it was revenge for sending arsonist Jeff Luers to prison for 22 years. And the Jefferson Poplar Farm arson was terrorism because the communique spoke of affecting pending legislation."

So if you just don't get the government involved, it isn't terrorism.

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about the Bushco conspirators in the Justice Department. Then again, what the hell, they're only burning the Constitution. Just which American Terrorists are doing the most damage - the ones inside the administration with the power to deconstruct our national government, or the ones on the outside with little means and a decidedly local scope?

"The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons."

But whatever the literal definition of 'terrorist' was, 'we' have made it pretty clear that it can only be perpetrated by countryless rogues. If you're the U.S. gov't you call your violent coersion 'the defense of democracy,' or if you are a loser country, 'war crimes.'

So now that we have that out of the way. Isn't it cute? They think they caught some terrorists! Like when your dog can't find the real stick and just brings something back to please you. Gooooood G-men. Good boy. Now drop it and go get the real ones, mmkay?

"The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons."

But whatever the literal definition of 'terrorist' was, 'we' have made it pretty clear that it can only be perpetrated by countryless rogues. If you're the U.S. gov't you call your violent coersion 'the defense of democracy,' or if you are a loser country, 'war crimes.'

So now that we have that out of the way. Isn't it cute? They think they caught some terrorists! Like when your dog can't find the real stick and just brings something back to please you. Gooooood G-men. Good boy. Now drop it and go get the real ones, mmkay?

having lived in Eugene during the time they were here... they were a public menace. after about 1995 or so i wouldn't go down town alone. it wasn't the drug dealers that scared me it was the radical environmentalist. its way better now.

USA PATRIOT ACT, Section 802:

`(5) the term `domestic terrorism' means activities that--

`(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;

`(B) appear to be intended--

`(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;

`(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or

`(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and

`© occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States.'.

They broke well-established, uncontroversial laws and will be punished for these crimes. But in terms of terrorism, this was like winning the special olympics of terrorism. (No offense to the disabled.)

between EARTH FIRST! and the family, there terrorized this area. i dont know if that makes them terrorists or not but i certainly think they should spend a good long time in prison.

They broke well-established, uncontroversial laws (the Patriot Act remains controversial) and will be punished for these crimes. But in terms of terrorism, this was like winning the special olympics of terrorism. (No offense to the disabled.)

"The communiqués are powerful, powerful evidence that the defendants and Mr. Meyerhoff intended to influence the conduct of government," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Kirk Engdall. "It is our position that the terrorism enhancement clearly applies to Mr. Meyerhoff."

STFU, nOOb.

Look, I didn't say they weren't terrorists. Just really whimpy ones. Prosecuting them is the right thing to do, and we should be so lucky that they weren't as dangerous as the domestic terrorists in other countries right now. There was no intent to kill, for example.

You're off topic again. You implied that the Patriot Act did not come into play here. I corrected you.
No, I said that the Patriot Act is controversial. It is controversial because it is redundant with pre-existing laws and provides the government with oversimplified means of condemning people based upon their thoughts rather than their acts.

It's interesting to consider why, if we can already prosecute them for the actual crimes that they committed, it is necessary to prosecute them for what we think their intentions were? This brings law into a murky place, where one can be prosecuted specifically for their thoughts and beliefs. It would be more appropriate to give them a stiffer sentence for the actual physical crimes committed, than to penalize them for what goes on in their heads.

This brings up the obvious comparison to hate crimes, the laws against which one could argue are just a vague way of basically imposing stiffer sentences (appropriate in many cases), with the unfortunate side effect of crossing the line into the realm of condemning opinions rather than acts.

No Mr. Spotter, our political warlords do not need to use violence against us. That kind of barbarism is not necessary. We are easily subjugated by honey-coated nationalistic dogma, especially when we can call all of its victims terrorists. But that's not what this thread is about, hijacker! :grlaf: