Training Tips for Adams

idahoara

I've been a rock climber for many years, and am now starting to get into alpine climbing. As a starting point, I plan to do Adams this year (the non-technical south route -- hopefully in the beginning of July), with my husband, who has more alpine skills and experience than I. So far, we've been doing lots of weekend hiking (as much as possible given the spring snow slog), and lots of hilly walks in Seattle with weighted packs. We are also planning to start some basic strength training this weekend (squats, walking lunges, etc.), and will start adding in some urban stair climbs as well. Other training tips?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on whether you do it in one-day or overnight at LC, susceptibility to altitude sickness might play more into your success than hitting cardio really hard....although hard cardio will help this, it won't fully override your body's natural ability to acclimatize. I took my wife up to Muir the weekend before our Adams climb just to see how she handled altitude, and as a result of our learnings we brought some Pepto Tabs and made a point of snacking regularly on the climb. She made it in a one-day push with very little pre-conditioning - just stomach management.

A one-day on Adams was my first "climb." I have jogged a few miles every day for years, but was also worried about the altitude thing.

I did spend one night at the TH.

I obsessively sipped water and nibbled on snacks on the way up. I think I remember a slight headache between the false summit and summit, but not bad. I've even heard that gingko taken over a couple weeks prior helps, but I dunno.

I agree with eric. You're prolly in fine shape.

I would recommend the hydration and eating, and if you have a day for the TH or at LC it could not hurt.

Have fun!

I second dinomyte, just make sure to stay hydrated and calorie loaded during your hike up. Even if you don't feel like eating (which is common for many folks at altitude), throw down a clif bar or something to keep your energy up.

I recommend camping above treeline the night before your hike mainly because it is such a fantastic view.

Yes, camping on Adams can be very pleasant. I'd generally favor camping a good deal lower than the lunch counter, though. Camp down near timberline below the Crescent Glacier, and you can have a nice view as well as be in the shelter of the trees and not add to the mess made by all those camping on the Lunch Counter. There are even nicer campsites around to the west a bit, below the Avalanche Glacier, but these are not on the regular route.

Although not technically training per se, whatever else you do, please DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GLISSADE WITH CRAMPONS ON, NO MATTER HOW SHORT OF A GLISS YOU MAY THINK IT MIGHT BE. Every year we pull at least one or four people off there with a broken ankle, tibia, or fibula. Please, don't even think about it.

Good call sobo!

The first time I was up there, we came across a couple (complete with rented REI mountaineering boots) sitting at the top of a chute that was absolutely frozen solid - with crampons on.

We advised them to reconsider, about 10 times. They couldn't seem to understand why.

We could only explain and reiterate.

They were still contemplating when we got the hell outta there.

Thanks for the good tips! Yeah, I think glissading with crampons would be a pretty terrible idea. :) We hiked up to Muir last year and did okay with the altitude on that trip, and definitely learned that we needed to eat and drink more throughout (and not be afraid to take breaks for food/water/rest).

I've even heard that gingko taken over a couple weeks prior helps, but I dunno.

Gingko biloba is of no benefit at high altitude and I would not bother with it. There were several small studies a few years back that suggested it might help prevent altitude illness but later, larger studies showed that it was no better than placebo (a sugar pill).

If you want to avoid altitude illness on the climb, the best options are to stay hydrated, avoid overexerting yourself, doing it in two days. If you've had problems at altitude in the past, diamox would be a reasonable thing to use but this is not necessary as most can do this climb without it. Just be sure that as you ascend you pay attention to the symptoms of altitude illness so that if it occurs, you can head down.