[TR] Sandia's Rock - 5/22/2007

skyclimb

Trip: Sandia's Rock -

Date: 5/22/2007

Trip Report:

This is a photo essay of the Sandia's, located east of Albuquerque "crackie", NM. It is all alpine, and is all good in a wild sort of way. The approaches are from the crest down. The crest sits at about 10,500 ft. and is still holding snow. The rock is granite, and varies greatly in quality. Even the best routes seem to have loose pitches, however this just makes the good ones all the better. The grades are all stout old school, and a hold seems to appear everytime things get desperate...what more could you ask for? Hundreds of routes up to grade VI, most are around 800-1200 feet ranging from 5.8-5.12. Don't be surprised if you end up making F.A.'s trying to find exisiting routes, or doing some gardening en-route, but shit, this is the mountains right?

53.jpg

6.jpg

16.jpg

36.jpg

92.jpg

82.jpg

45.jpg

111.jpg

102.jpg

27.jpg

12.jpg

132.jpg

Gear Notes:

Double sets, RP's are your friend

Approach Notes:

Downhill

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. I drove to the crest to climb a couple Novembers ago and bailed because it was way too cold for my not-jacket-having skinny ass. I still want to climb up there.

Your description sounds just like what I expected. Fun fun fun in the Land of Enchantment.

:tup:

Did you stop by Rudy's for BBQ after? Great ribs, if you're into that sort of thing

I love Rudy's, and even bought one of the shirts.. "I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables", love that prime rib, and brisket....AHHH

You should have done the tram approach and deproach! Cool pics and nice report. The important question you didn't answer: Red or Green chile?

I was living up on the mountain for quite a few months doing forest inventories for the national forest there, so the approach was very quick by driving up, but i always did want to do the tram apporach just for the novelty of it.

Red or green, as long as its hot!

OMG hunny i thought you had fallen clean off the face of the planet!!! so good to see your smiling face again.

AWSOME photos and amazing route.

if you come back to visit i would love to climb with you again!!

xoxooxox

muffin

• 3 weeks later...

The routes are of Warpy Moople...mega classic, The Return of the Liar king(one of the first few ascents), possibly a shot in there from Excitable Boys. The Thumb is a fun route. I tried soloing that thing, and ended up down climbing from the crux. I thought I was off route....no way this can be 5.6. Turns out I was on route...went back with a rope and slayed it.

There is so much new stuff waiting to be done there it doesn't seem real. If you can bust out the hooks, features can be linked for a lifetimes worth of new adventures.