altimeter/watches

crazyjizzy

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got one from Avocet, it's worked pretty good. The cowner is you have to send it back to them to have the battery changed (2 to 6 weeks), for $25. The upper is they update the firmware if necessary, and it usually comes back with a fresh crystal. I've had mine for a little over 6 years...

I am not sure which model of watch I have, but it is a Casio, about 2-3 yrs old with altimeter/barometer. I think it is the pathfinder, but i am not sure.

Anyway, I am pretty happy with mine. I got it for REALLY cheap (under $30) and have used it for a couple of years. My only gripe with it is that the altimeter only goes up to 13,200 ft. It is pretty solid, but admittedly unspectacular in comparison to some of the new watches theses days, esp. the Suunto's. my 32 cents

Shawn

I scored a Casio SEA-Pathfinder at the REI garage sale for pennies. It's got a thermometer/barometer and other pretty much useless features. Doesn't have an altimeter; I guess the elevation doesn't vary enough out there on the "sea" confused.gif" border="0 . The only problem is that the temp. and press. readings get screwed up by the moon's gravitational pull every month or so, and I have to go into the chemistry lab, use the barometer and thermometer in there and let it sit in that room for a period. And that's all I have to say about that.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: headmasterjon ]

Gart Sports was selling the $160 Alta/Freestyle Altimeter watches for <$50 around Christmas. You might look for them to go on sale again. They still had a bunch the last time I looked. Haven't tried mine out yet, but the watch has excellent reviews on the web and is reportedly accurate to +/-1 meter. REI Outlet was selling them for around $80, but I'd check Gart Sports first and save the shipping (I think the non-sale price was $70).

I got the Suunto too. I works pretty good, the altimiter is a little messy below about 1500ft, but otherwise it's great. Although my first one malfunctioned, claiming I was at an altitude of 21,000 feet while sitting in the Alki Tavern...And REI generously replaced it witha spanking new one two years ago...I guess that one was one of the first to be produced...

I like it.

sean

That's interesting that your Vector did that to you. While I was walking around Anchorage this summer mine all of a sudden shot up to 17,000 ft. I set it back down (which took for freakin' ever), but I wonder what's up with that. Bug fly into the barometer? wink.gif" border="0