Bibs - do I really need them?

Dennis_the_Menace

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis the Menace:
For alpine and ice climbing, are bibs really worth it? I keep going back and forth on whether to buy a pair. Should I just stick with my goretex and softshell pants?

Long time listener, first time poster.
confused.gif" border="0

Bibs will probably only be needed if you're a slob and spill your GU. bumml-124.jpg ...now go spank the monkey tongue.gif" border="0

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: trask ]

dont fall

i have two pairs of laminate pants. i personally like the pant over the bib, as i am a fat ass and over heat pretty easy. and then again anymore with all this schoeller stuff out there now, who even wears laminate pants/bibs??? i figure that if i am going to carry laminate shells then i want the lightest ones. bibs weigh more than pants. so i would say pants over bibs.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: erik ]

I have the Arc’teryx Gamma SV Salopette. one of the best purchase I made lately. it plenty breathable and very durable and most important doesn’t constrict your movement. the light insulation help tremendously since you only have to wear long johns under it. the only one flaw its, the front zipper doesn’t extended through the crouch so if you need to go, everything goes too. for me it’s a minor offset. you might want to check the Gamma SV bib for better and more utilitarian design. all for all I highly recommend them. I love mine grin.gif" border="0

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: IceIceBaby ]

For the last eight years, I have only used bibs. I love them!!! I am a big guy, and the bibs stay on very well, and they are very comfortable. One definite advantage is that they offer more coverage and keep snow and water from going down my pants. And if the weather is not too bad, bibs provide enough coverage so that you do not always have to wear a parka.

It's definitely a personal preference, but I love my bibs.

Tyler

I've got some Lowe Alpine half bibs that I really like. They don't come much higher than my beer belly button, and they are f#%king light as hell. I like these much better than full bibs cause I don't overheat, but having something a little higher than waistline with suspenders I like better than pants.

This definitely sounds like personal preference. I have to go with E and the C'man on the pants. I tend do generate a lot of heat while moving and bibs are just way to hot for me. Plus the previously mentioned weight issue. I've got some Arc'teryx Beta LT pants and they're very light and compact. I figure if I'm getting into positions where I need bibs to keep snow from pouring into my nether regions then I need to rethink my technique and/or route. lol I definitely have to try some of this Shoeller stuff. I keep hearing good things about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I wore bibs for years, and now I've switched over to a very lightweight, high waisted pant with suspenders and full side zips (the waterproof kind with no storm flaps). These pants weigh only a third of what the MEC bibs weigh. I've yet to have any problems with snow in my pants when climbing ice or skiing. My 2 cents.