[TR] SEWS - S Arete (up) - SW Couloir (down) 5/20/2007

goatboy

Trip: SEWS - S Arete (up) - SW Couloir (down)

Date: 5/20/2007

Trip Report:

I have a few pictures I will post later...

I have climbed these routes before, but always enjoy them both. It was wonderful to be in the mountains after several weeks stuck in town...

The weather on the East Side was much better than forecasted -- cold and frozen snow, (mostly) blue skies, and little wind.

I like to approach these two routes up Spire Gully (from the hairpin) instead of from the Blue Lake TH, due to the ease of descent directly to the car...basically, a fifteen-minute glissade!

Route conditions: Good for S Arete, not good for SW Couloir.

S Arete: Mostly dry rock, some lingering snow in places which actually improves the quality of the route somewhat in my opinon.

SW Couloir: super firm snow and alpine ice, but melted out at the top, revealing very loose bedrock and kitty litter. No fun to climb at this point, I'd say...downclimbing the couloir is a viable option, however, when the S Arete is full of folks (as it often is)...

There was a party of 7 (from Skagit Alpine Club) climbing in two groups on S Arete, but they kindly let me climb past them on the 1st pitch. Nice folks. Seemed like a mix of experienced and new climbers...

There was a Spokane party of 2 ascending the couloir, but were high enough in the gully that I could rappel past them without pelting them with rocks. As I downclimbed the couloir, only one large rock came down my way, so I appreciate that they were aware of me down there....

Also ran into an old buddy from the WSU Alpine Club, Paul, and found out that we both live in Seattle now...small world!

As I drove back west again, I stopped to take pictures of a few things along the way...and as I got west of the crest, the weather turned to shizzle pretty quick. It was raining super hard in Seattle when I pulled into the driveway....

This morning, I am pleasantly sore and happy to have been in such a lovely place, if only for a day...

Gear Notes:

I took a harness, a 30-meter 9 mm rope, a cordellette, crampons, and two light ice axes for downclimbing the couloir. The 30-meter rope allows a rappel over the rock step which you can walk to from the summit onto down-climbable snow.... Only used one ax for much of the downclimb, but the alpine ice section was nice to have two...

Approach Notes:

Hairpin -- > Spire Gully -- super good glissade back to car and :brew:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One additional note on S Arete: I observed that the bolt on the knife-edge hand-traverse near the summit has been pounded flat by someone who is either contrary to adding bolts to traditional routes, or opposed to the large groups and guided parties whom this bolt largely serves. The bolt is located in a fairly inconspicuous place on the climber's left of the ridge, where many don't even see it to begin with...

My comment: I don't think the bolt was really useful to begin with -- the climbing in that section is exposed, but super-easy and can be made even easier "en cheval." But I also know that the bolt has been there for a long time (at least 10 years). Curious what would spur someone to flatten it NOW?

I fear that this won't decrease the size of the groups or guided parties on this crowded route, but it might slow them down and make even more of a bottleneck than it tends to already produce...

I fear that this won't decrease the size of the groups or guided parties on this crowded route, but it might slow them down and make even more of a bottleneck than it tends to already produce...
Of course you are correct. It will have zero effect on the number of people climbing the route, it has zero visual improvement because the bolt wasn't pulled. It only makes the traverse a little less safe. The deed was done by a moron.

I bet the groups you met from SAC are their climbing class. Should be around that time of year. And yes, they are cool people, that's why I was a member for three years.

SEWS is an undervalued, work off the winter beer fat, climb IMO. Plus the scenery is worth the trek alone.

Is it flatter than it was? It's been fairly flat for some time now. Last year Memorial weekend I was up there and you would have had to snake a runner through it to use it because it had already been pounded down so a biner wouldn't fit. I went up again in July and it was the same. IMO it takes a special kind of dumbass to flatten it to make it useless, but still leave it there as an eyesore.

Of course you are correct. It will have zero effect on the number of people climbing the route, it has zero visual improvement because the bolt wasn't pulled. It only makes the traverse a little less safe. The deed was done by a moron.

I agree with your opinion.

Nice photos. A good example of how the snow can improve the alpine character and quality of the route!

The bolt is hiding on the climber's left of the narrow rock fin near the top - I believe it's shown in the second picture you posted, though it looks a lot snowier here than I'm used to seeing it.

• 1 month later...