[TR] Snow Creek Wall - Outer Space 5/17/2007

ElisifHarro

Trip: Snow Creek Wall - Outer Space

Date: 5/17/2007

Trip Report:

The stars have been aligning lately and Daniel and I have been quite lucky in getting days off together more or less. To fully take advantage, we headed up to Leavenworth once again, this time with our eyes on Outer Space. I got off work on Wednesday morning, and in our usual pattern Daniel drove while I made up for lost sleep. We arrived in Leavenworth around 2pm and spent the day at the Pearly Gates, a fun cragging area with quite a bit of variety. Off to dinner and then to bed.

Elisif leading Cloud Nine (5.9)

P5160001_edited-1.jpg

The next morning we got an early start and headed to the Snow Creek Wall. The hike in took about an hour and we started our climb around 8. We opted for the alternate variation and started the climb with two easy 4th-low5th class pitches to the Two Tree Ledge.

Pitch 3 consisted of 5.8 climbing to the exposed 5.9 traverse. The traverse felt quite challenging for it's grade but was a fun challenge nevertheless.

Daniel midway up the 5.8 section on pitch 3

IMG_1769_edited-1.jpg

The following pitch, pitch 4, was easy climbing, with long runouts on knobs and chickenheads to a short 5.8 crack forming a pedestal.

Daniel following up and over the pedestal

IMG_1778_edited-1.jpg

Pitch 6 is the start of the real fun with a solitary crack with an abundance of knobs up to Library Ledge.

Elisif starting out on pitch 6

P5160008_edited-1.jpgIMG_1787_edited-1.jpg

Pitch 7 is a long pitch ending the climb with some 5.9 moves up a finger crack and then fun cruiser climbing up the crack. This pitch takes the full length of a 70m rope and ends just short of the summit.

Daniel starting out in the finger crack

IMG_1792_edited-1.jpg

Daniel kept me on belay while I scarmbled up easy knobs to the top, only to find company.

IMG_1802.jpgP5170016_edited-1.jpg

The descent is a walk off and is well marked by cairns. I was cursing myself that I had forgotten my approach shoes this trip and was forced to slide down the hill on chacos :cry:

Daniel had to be back at work at 7am on Friday so we decided to call it a short day and head back to the car and back home. Good times in Leavenworth. Great climb, great weather, and good food :chebit:. Although we feel like we are in either a state of packing, driving, unpacking, and working...the playing in between is well worth it :grin::rawk::wave:

Gear Notes:

70m rope

standard rack with doubles of 1-3 (very helpful on the last two pitches). We brought the 4 but didn't need it.

full set of nuts

8 adjustable draws

Approach Notes:

Follow the Snow Creek trail up and then to where it comes back to meet the Creek. Cross the creek on logs and follow the cairns and climbers trail up to the wall.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun. Nice TR.

Route note; "Pitch 7 is a long pitch ending the climb with some 5.9 moves up a finger crack and then fun cruiser climbing up the crack. "

If you move right out onto the face and then back up left, it is pretty easy 5.8.