Sad news coming

mike_m

I am crushed to hear this news. I considered Mizuki to be one of my favorite climbing partners, ever. Unbelievable.... Infinite_Bliss.jpg Here she is high on Infinite Bliss.

edited by off white to get photo to show

Edited by Off_White

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mizuki was an incredible climber and quiet presence. She was supposed to compete in the Ouray Ice Festival open competition in January 2007, but withdrew because of a leg injury the week prior. While other climbers listed lots of specific accomplishments and dreams (rightly so!), here's what Mizuki had to say about herself:

Mizuki Takahashi

Grew Up in: Japan

Ice Climbing: 3 years

Why compete in Ouray: challenge myself

Dream climb: K2

Least favorite aspect of climbing: Turning around.

A woman of few words, but great talent. Within 6 weeks of her leg injury, she was charging up Mt. Si with a humongous pack, training for Denali no doubt. Mizuki, I'm sorry we never climbed the Entiat Icefall together.

I just learned of the accident an hour ago. This is horrible, horrible news. It leaves me deeply saddened and angered.

I was on Mizuki's team when she first summitted Denali in 2004 via the West Buttress. Her passion for the mountains was unmatched. When that team was assembled, there was no hesitation from her in committing to the trip. She was incredibly excited about the prospect of bagging her first Alaskan peak.

Despite her small stature she was a very, very strong climber. My most vivid memory of Mizuki from that trip was when we were weighing gear the night before we left Seattle and seeing her gear weighing in at more than she did! She had the heaviest load, in terms of percentage of body weight, of anyone on that trip. And she never complained, despite the tremendous load. She put her head down, dug deep, and forged forward. She was a horse.

I have been away from the Pacific NW since that climb, but I learned through my PNW friends that she became even more hard-core after that trip, returning to Alaska several times, and becoming a prolific climb leader with the Mountaineers.

She was a woman of few words, but spoke her mind. Her loss is a tragic one. My condolances to both her and Brian Massey's (whom I never had the privilege of knowing) families.

Here she is on top of Denali on 2004.

Mizuki_summit_02.jpg

Edited by Trekking Badger

I met Mizuki while climbing at Vertical World. I joined her on a Rainier attempt last year and went cragging with her a couple of times. Competent and reserved, it took a little while for her quiet determination to reveal itself. She had attempted the West Ridge of Hunter and had dreams of doing the Cassin. Rock, Ice and Alpine - she liked it all and climbed more than anyone I knew. A very strong climber, she was a leader who did not necessarily need to be out in front.

I always thought I would know her better as we climbed more in the future and now lament that this will never come to pass.

People will say that you died doing what you loved but I really just wish you were still here with us.

Much Love to you Mizuki

Mizuki was a phenominal climber and person. Probably the most altruistic person I know. She was so strong heading up to Denali only a few months after breaking her leg. It's truly a loss to the entire climbing community and she will be missed.

I had the privilege of climbing with Mizuki at VW. She was an amazing person and a superb climber. I saw her just a week before she left for Denali, and she was very excited to begin her trip. To echo all of the tributes above, Mizuki, you will be sorely missed.

I had the privilege of climbing with Mizuki several times a week at VW just prior to this tragic Denali trip. She was a quiet inspiration and supportive climbing partner. I was unaware of how experienced a climber she was due to her modesty. I am so very sad that this strong, determined, and warm woman is no longer with us.

Edited by lsy

Very sad news indeed.

Mizuki had a passion and energy out climbing that was unmatched. I was amazed at her determination whether on ice or rock.

----------

Last fall, Alex K. spent a little time starting to film digital scenes for a climbing film project to be eventually edited. For the first day of filming, Mizuki and I were the climbers. Perhaps some of Mizuki's footage would be a fitting tribute if it could played in her memory at this fall's annual cc.com Leavenworth roundup.

---------

She will be missed.

Two more climbers reported dead this morning. A pair from Utah was swept away in an Avalanche above the Ruth.

Story:

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/8903007p-8802964c.html

A team of three climbers whom I know well has been on Denali for three weeks. These climbers from South Whidbey Island have decided to descend because of continuing high winds on the summit and below normal temps.

I met Mizuki at Mountaineer events, and am also very sad to lose her.

Last fall, Alex K. spent a little time starting to film digital scenes for a climbing film project to be eventually edited. For the first day of filming, Mizuki and I were the climbers. Perhaps some of Mizuki's footage would be a fitting tribute if it could played in her memory at this fall's annual cc.com Leavenworth roundup.

I like that idea. I made this simple climbing video featuring Mizuki last summer, at exit 32.

(Turn down your computer volume if you don't like loud music.)

5jit535bOFg

Edited by octavius

Mizuki was an ideal climbing partner. I was lucky enough to climb with her every season for the past 5 or so years. She was extremely strong as a climber but at the same time very easy to get along with, very accomodating, and respectful of everyone.

Our running joke together was that every time we climbed we always accidentally went home with the other's gear, which required a follow-up meeting to exchange gear. More often than not she would volunteer to come by my work to perform the transfer - always laughing because it never failed that we went home with the other's gear - it was just the kind of person she was.

I like that idea. I made this simple climbing video featuring Mizuki last summer, at exit 32.

I've got a bunch of video of Brian from a trip to Banff we did. Maybe we should all get together :tup: :tup:

Mizuki was one of the fittest people I ever met. I did a conditioner with her up to Muir last April and couldn't keep up with her - despite the fact that her pack was 20 lbs heavier than mine (55lbs) and I outweighed her by 40 or 50 lbs. When she was geared up and in the mountains, she was in her element. She looked like she belonged there. And as others have said, she was very mild mannered, quiet, and very respectful. I remember going up my first friction pitch with her looming over the top. I struggled the whole way up and she remarked "good job" - a real confidence builder.

RIP, Mizuki

brian_muziki.JPG

Here's is the a picture I took of Brian and Mizuki the day before they went up the West Riblet. I got to know them in the seven days at 14200' camp. They were great people. I got to know Brian a bit more and he was liked by all. He always had a smile on his face. They both will be missed.

Rad

Hi:

Levi Pulkkinen, a reporter for the Seattle PI, is doing a follow-up story on the accident on Denali. He would like to speak with people that knew Mizuki, so that her life is well-represented in the article. In particular, he was hoping to find out if there was any sort of memorial fund set up on Mizuki's behalf.

Here is his contact information. You'll need to get on this immediately, as the story will go to press within the next day or so.

Levi Pulkkinen

reporter, Seattle Post-Intelligencer

levipulkkinen@seattlepi.com

-t