Broughton's -- Bat Wall conditions

slindsay

I was out at Bat Wall yesterday to get my perennial beatdown from Dracula and noticed two unpleasant issues:

• Stingy, flying insects have re-colonized Bloodline
  • More run-off dirt than usual?

For the first, how was the bee's nest removed originally? Assuming the park service has no issues with removing the nest again, are there any anaphilacticly-immune volunteers willing to relocate our flying friends? Anybody party to the original beehive removal have any input?

Second, I haven't been climbing at Broughton's for long (second season here) -- is Bat Wall usually covered with dirt in the early season? I climbed there a bit last fall and it seemed a bit dirty, but not unreasonably so. Yesterday, however, it was dirty enough to dissuade me from finishing Dracula (well, that plus a sub-optimal power-to-weight ratio). Does that side of the wall clean up naturally over the course of the season or should I think about buying a very large brush (pressure washer? mop and bucket? Clean thoughts and hope?)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the hive was removed with a huge rock……just kidding I don’t know how it was removed but do remember the nest back in the day when you had to walk under it very calmly and swiftly.

As far as dirty……that’s broughtons for yeah. If you take a bucket or power wash out there…..more power to you.

When the weather changes the wasps and bees really come out in the sun on the cliff there. Its kind of a deterrent for climbing there in the summer.

I've heard They removed the nest by filling it with gas and then fire bombing it. Thats why it still looks like a nest cuz the honey was burned to the wall. Please don't use gas.

Someone should educate the farmer above about soil erosion and how to prevent it.

Stewart

• 2 weeks later...

I don't claim to know much about keeping bees, but a few years ago I contacted a local bee keeper that specialized in relocating queens. He checked it out and told me he didn't think he could do it since it was in rock. Anyway long story short he declined. Honey bees are rare in the wild like that and I got the feeling he was of the idea that they deserved to be there more than anyone else...

• 5 weeks later...

agreed - we made it as far as Berlin wall a week or two ago to check out closet nazi. there's poison oak on the trail past bat wall, but it's totally covering everything by the time you get to berlin wall.

but, the wasps on bat wall are more under control. the nest was sprayed by the park service at the access fund adopt-a-crag a few weeks ago, but there are still a few surviving wasps...

Those aren't wasps! They are wild honey bees that are becoming increasingly rare. The hive was active when I was out there last week. I called the park service about it, and they said they'd check it out, but they are only in the habit of exterminating hazardous wasp/hornet nets.

Believe me- I dig the route Bloodline(Beeline!) and want to have it open for climbing, but the more I started looking into it, the more I'd like to see some beekeepers come out and relocate that thing.