crossfithel bbq/open house

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My interpretation (then again I could be wrong... it isn't my gym) of the t shirt thing is it is more a subtle motivation for individuals to complete their basic cert as people grow tired of camo quickly.

Goodness, they make you wear camo too? It's even more whacked then I thought! :lmao:

Well... I have yet to chip a tooth during a workout so it can't be that whacked ;)

My interpretation (then again I could be wrong... it isn't my gym) of the t shirt thing is it is more a subtle motivation for individuals to complete their basic cert as people grow tired of camo quickly.

Goodness, they make you wear camo too? It's even more whacked then I thought! :lmao:

Well... I have yet to chip a tooth during a workout so it can't be that whacked ;)

Hey now! that was really embarrassing! :crazy: glad i have a good dentist!

Crossfit Eastside doesn't have levels, formal testing, T-shirts or a boot camp to graduate before you can become a member. We do have a board for people to write their goals on, these don't have to be CF specific. After all most people are training for something else not to be good at CrossFit. The only two CF gyms I know that do any of this other stuff are the Seattle and Portland HEL ones.

If it works for you go for it, but I can think of numerous reasons it doesn't interest me.

Both CrossfitHEL and CrossfitPortland have some very fit mofo's involved in their programs...

CF-PDX is a smaller cadre with a positive, supportive atmosphere: perfect for low-key, internally motivated athletes. There is a gal there who looks like a soccer mom - yet who will crush you in any benchmark workout!

CF-HEL is a bigger facility with more bells and whistles(like full bumpers for O-lifts) - and more external motivators(i.e. levels/t-shirts, boot camps, coach-cadet dynamic). Lotsa MMAs and police/firefighter types there, but very open to anyone who wants to train hard.

Know that a membership to either joint will run you $80-100 a month(!) - and that's on top of any climbing gym membership you might have, plus $3+ per gallon gas just to get to the trailhead this summer. That's a lotta scratch! WODs are free to all on the CF website, so what you're really paying for is equipment and a community. My solution? The Circuit Gym has many CF tools [gymnastic rings, jumpbox(the slide, dummy!), rope climb, O-weights w/squat rack]. I climb there plus CF. And if that's not enough...you can get a kettlebell and medicine ball for the price of one month at one of those CF facilities. But I'd suggest you CF during off-peak hours - 250lb squats can be dodgy w/tykes underfoot.

So if you really wanna meet 'Pukie' then just come over to my house...or the 'Papa Barn'(shh!) - or any other guerilla gym around, or make one at home, or do CF at the playground, or pay someone to yell at you(I'll do it for free!), or whatever...but do it. A good chunk of folks rolling CF right now are probably just using cinderblocks and body armor in some godforsaken place with no facility whatsoever. And while we're all pecking away on our keyboards about fitness, some grandpa in Indiana just busted out 40 muscle-ups for time.

I totally agree with what Marcus and others have had to say on this. Going to the classes can be very benificial, especially if you are new to a lot of the olympic lifts, but for the self motivated, in a few months you can aquire most of the equipment that you would need. This being said, you can do a large amount of CF type workouts without lifting a single weight or using any equipment other than a hangboard/pull-up bar.

• 1 month later...
Today's Oregonian: skull

from the above linked article

"The gym has been open since February, and it's not for everyone. That's the way Aillaud wants it.

"We're an invitation-only facility," he says. "You have to be invited to train here. By me."

To join, prospective clients must pass a 30-day boot camp intended to weed out weaklings and wimps. If you can't stick with the diet or hack the drills, you'll either quit or Aillaud won't invite you back."

Hmmm. I'm sure this type of training environment is great for some people, I'm just not one of them.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wanted to try crossfit but couldn't get past the price or don't want to buy your own equipment?

Starting Oct 13th the Saturday 1 pm workout of the day will be FREE @ crossfit HEL

Check the website either the day of or the night before to see where we will be working out

Be ~10 minutes early so you have time to warm up

And no you don't have to wear camo ;)

Hope to see some new faces soon!

Starting Oct 13th the Saturday 1 pm workout of the day will be FREE @ crossfit HEL

And no you don't have to wear camo ;)

Thanks for the heads up. Everyday Athlete seems like a better fit for this soccer mom, but I may have to drop by and check out a free Saturday WOD once I know what I'm doing. Especially since camo is not required ;)

The only two CF gyms I know that do any of this other stuff are the Seattle and Portland HEL ones.

I have worked out at CF Seattle for almost 2 years. They offer the CF Level certs but they don't push them. The option of going after a Level 1/2/3/4 T-shirt is there but no one makes a big deal out of it and there's not a hint that it's a requirement or even an expectation.

The gains I have made in integrating upper and lower body strength, improvements in flexibility while exerting load-bearing effort, and improvement in muscular endurance have made me a different climber altogether. I think if climbers are aware that CF is out there, they're nuts not to jump all over it.

Yeah, if you compare the cost to your local YMCA or regular gym it seems overpriced. This thing is that you can in no way compare a typical gym to Crossfit. I won’t get into the details but will say that it seemed expensive to me as well when I first tried it out and I was hesitant to spend the money. Now in my 6th month at Crossfit Eastside (near Microsoft) $150 a month seems like a bargain for what I get and I would easily shell out more than that if they asked. The price is a bargain for what you get in terms of training, education, equipment and an incredible environment to work out. For most, once you start there is no looking back and you’ll be hard pressed to go back to a regular gym and subject yourself to the crap that passes as ‘fitness’ these days. Crossfit workouts can be brutal but the gains you make are amazing and you’ll be hooked for life. The extra dough is a small price to pay for true fitness and good health.

Yeah, if you compare the cost to your local YMCA or regular gym it seems overpriced. This thing is that you can in no way compare a typical gym to Crossfit. I won’t get into the details but will say that it seemed expensive to me as well when I first tried it out and I was hesitant to spend the money. Now in my 6th month at Crossfit Eastside (near Microsoft) $150 a month seems like a bargain for what I get and I would easily shell out more than that if they asked. The price is a bargain for what you get in terms of training, education, equipment and an incredible environment to work out. For most, once you start there is no looking back and you’ll be hard pressed to go back to a regular gym and subject yourself to the crap that passes as ‘fitness’ these days. Crossfit workouts can be brutal but the gains you make are amazing and you’ll be hooked for life. The extra dough is a small price to pay for true fitness and good health.

Actually, I wasn't comparing to "a typical gym". You can get off the 'true fitness and good health' high horse, too. I can see you're drinking the KoolAid. Look, I didn't say it wasn't a good program; I've been to the Eastside location to check it out. I'm just saying it's a little pricey, in MY opinion. Yours obviously differs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be another to say that $150/month is a total bargain for what you get: personal training from awesome people in a really cool group environment. Seriously, its a bargain. Try to find any other gym where you can get as much personal training as you want for that amount. You can't.

PS - Kool-aid is not in the zone.