Ripped hardshell pants?

stevo

Over the weekend i ripped the hell out of a pair of REI taku pants on the approach to colchuk crossing over a fallen tree. Anyone know of any places in the seattle or tacoma area where i can get these fixed? If not, does anyone know if there is an easy way I can repair them myself that doesnt involve duct tape? (I already tried that and it wouldnt stick to that particular material)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rainy Pass Repair in the U district (near Dante's tavern) has always done a descent job for me, but is rather expensive.

NW Garment repair in Freemont has also done a fine job and was considerably cheaper than Rainy Pass.

I have used the Gore brand repair patches with good results. They are self sticking but you can iron them on for better longevity.

Butterfly the pants closed on the outside with packing tape, making sure to create a nice clean seam at the rip. Turn the pants inside out and squeeze a bit of seam sealer (like you would put in the seams of your tent)over the tear so that is covers the tear plus about a 1/2" around the rip. Let this dry completely overnight on a flat surface. Turn the pants back right side out, remove the packing tape, and you should end up with a barely visable scar in the hardshell.

f'n sucks! seems I am always poking holes in my takus w/ my pons. i usually just hand stitch them and then toss an iron-on patch (low temp!!!) on the inside over the stitches. seems to work pretty well, but i have never tried to fix them after "ripping the hell out of them" before. good luck.

REI will repair these for free, or at least they have for me. Give them a call.

????

Really? How does this work? "yeah, uhm I kinda like destroyed my gear... will you fix it for free".

Sounds good to me; how did you go about this? You just went to the counter and asked? spill it!

First, learn how to use crampons, when u cant master that buy a Gore Tex patch kit from any outdoor shop. They work very well if you can follow the instructions. Good luck, sounds like u will need it.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

thanks for the helpful info; sure it's just what he was looking for...

I emailed them, and they said they don't repair gear anymore :anger:, for free or otherwise. They said to call rainy pass. BUT, I know they'll take them back and give you a new pair if you're "unsatisfied." Some people think that's justified, some don't, so that's your call. I have taken stuff in there, and told them the hole was the result of a fight with an ice axe, and they repaired it no problem. OR is also really good about repairs, whether your fault or not, they'll fix anything for free, and no shipping. I like that gear companies that charge top dollar for their stuff will repair it, keeping it out of the landfills for awhile longer.