Axar Vs Rage

Dru

I got to play with both of these yesterday. I found the rage to be a lot heavier than the axar. rage shaft is solid (or quite thick?), so the weight is centered lower in the tool, too frown.gif" border="0 axar has light shaft and weight concentrated in head. I liked the axar much more. rage has better pick though. clearance is about equal. spike on rage slightly better. i would go with the axar if i had to choose.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with those aluminum heads on the Charlet Moser tools? I'd think there is no way they can take a beating. The BD tools have steel heads, much more durable right? I have a picket and a shovel that died violent deaths on a snow climb, pretty wicked. Steel crampons cut through the aluminum like nothing. Not that I want to stomp on my tools, but still...

It's good business though - make a very nice tool, people buy it, go through them much faster than steel tools, buy new ones, repeat...

Not that I know anything though, I never had a tool with an aluminum head. Here, how's that for a disclaimer?

I have the Axars--I like them. Rage--too heavy for my liking. mad.gif" border="0 Wasn't the Rage supposed to be the cheap alternative to the Cobra? confused.gif" border="0 I wouldn't say that worked out too well. As far as the Axar pick goes--yeah, I'd have to agree that it's not the best out there (G. Machine, BD tools may be slightly better)--but, it's not that bad either. grin.gif" border="0

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: E. Hobbs ]

I have the Rage and I absolutely LOVE them the tool just looking for a placements it self I highly recommend it to anyone who have small hands for any terrain (I had the cobra personally didn’t know what the Oho…..Aha... about them and definitely not worth the price in today market) I got my rage brand sparkling new for under $300 which is what is the max that Ill pay for any pair of tools out there [geek]

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Neri ]

quote:

Originally posted by fleblebleb:
What's with those aluminum heads on the Charlet Moser tools? I'd think there is no way they can take a beating. The BD tools have steel heads, much more durable right?

Fleb is right. The aluminum heads on CM tools suck. Ask anyone who has ever dropped them and then tried to change the pick....

It is nearly impossible because the slot for the pick is bent shut.

Other reasons to avoid CM tools include:

-Those little teeny allen head bolts that can not be adjusted via any other means than a specific wrench.

-Non-interchangeable picks. If you wander into the MiddleofNowhere Gear Shop how likely is it that they will have a pick for your specific Euro tool....?

-the same holds for the hammer and adze. All of the current generation of BD hammers and adzes are interchangeable.

I am a big BD fan. Steel heads, bolts that dont require an additional wrench, all tools can use the same picks/bolts/adze (the picks are WAY! better out of the box than CM picks). I also dont like the downward "flick" required with a lot of CM tools. Granted, "if the tool fits" swing it, but if you are comparing a BD tool to a CM tool, there are some other things to look at.

Happy Winter Solstice all of my Neo-pagan friends!

Shawn

[big Drink]