inspiring books about female climbers

mythosgrl

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a copy of it and i don't know if it is still in print but when i first started climbing i read a book that I *think* was called "She Climbs." it was about all the first notorious climber women. the first woman to summit everest. there was a story about one of the women that summited all over the PNW she used to stash her skirts and petticoats and climb in her bloomers. really inspiring and great stories about really amazing women, not just as climbers but really great women in their strength and compassion and personal strenghth.

lynn hill's book "climbing free" is neat. she's not a brilliant writer but she has a good story.

I agree, it's an entertaining read - her story is pretty amazing, especially the 80 footer she took when she forgot to tie in!

Steph Davis also has a book out that I have been meaning to pick up, haven't heard any reviews on it though...

Oh, and the Annapurna one is fun too, if a bit outdated.

Edited by motomagik

the book Muffy is referring to is called "Leading Out" by Rachel someone or other. Has a PNW focus.

I kinda enjoyed Lynn Hill's autobiography though others panned it for being dull.

Annapurna: A Woman's Place is On Top, is good but so very dated it makes me cringe a bit.

Alison Osius, of Climbing/Rock & Ice (and Lynn's ghost editor on Climbing Free), has Catherine Freer's personal journals and papers. Hopefully she'll one day find the time to write Freer's bio, as Freer certainly stands out as one of America's best all-around female climbers. One can only imagine what she'd have achieved had her life not been tragically cut short. Sadly, a lot of women climbers these days are largely ignorant of her legacy.

Touching the Void :tup:

I wouldn't say that is about women and their highest triumph. more like some bitches should stay out of the mountains... but then i liked "The Climb" way better.

Me thinks you are confusing Touching the Void with Into THin Air, although neither is really focused on girls.

you are right i am. touching the void was a great story.. no girls in it though...

Alison Osius, of Climbing/Rock & Ice (and Lynn's ghost editor on Climbing Free), has Catherine Freer's personal journals and papers. Hopefully she'll one day find the time to write Freer's bio, as Freer certainly stands out as one of America's best all-around female climbers. One can only imagine what she'd have achieved had her life not been tragically cut short. Sadly, a lot of women climbers these days are largely ignorant of her legacy.

the woman that taught me to climb worked on one of the wilderness therapy expiditions. i don't know anything about Catherine but the wilderness program with her name is wonderful. IMHO