The world is now a better place

Alpinfox

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... should I celebrate when you and Alpinfox one day both fall to your deaths?

Do you hate me? If so, yeah, I guess you should celebrate.

I'm curious though, if you hate me, do you hate me because I hate this hater (falwell)? It's not like I celebrate every time a christian dies; just the hypocritical, evangelical, bigoted, powerful ones who have made it their mission in life to oppress others.

Refer to my previous post. I was asking the death-celebration question rhetorically - but you already know that. Is it appropriate to hate an individual and dance on their unburied corpse just because you disagreed with their politics...or because they dared to judge your choices? And does the fact that you so often judge others render you hate-worthy? I've got no problem with the concept of hate, but is simple disagreement or benign judgement a valid threshold?

... should I celebrate when you and Alpinfox one day both fall to your deaths?

Do you hate me? If so, yeah, I guess you should celebrate.

I'm curious though, if you hate me, do you hate me because I hate this hater (falwell)? It's not like I celebrate every time a christian dies; just the hypocritical, evangelical, bigoted, powerful ones who have made it their mission in life to oppress others.

edit: OK, I see your edit above now.

So you don't hate me, but you consider me a hypocrite. I don't think I am. I'm a libertarian. I think people should be allowed to do whatever the fuck they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. If anyone tries to restrict my freedoms just becuase they don't like what I'm doing, and especially if they are a powerful person and actually have some influence to effect my life, they are my enemy and I hate them.

I never said I was an "all-loving or all-tolerant liberal".

I'm an asshole, but not a hypocrite.

HONK

Is it appropriate to hate an individual and dance on their unburied corpse just because you disagreed with their politics...

His efforts have set back basic human rights in this country. That is a real, concrete effect, not mere politicing in a vacuum. If he had preached love and tolerance for all, I might shed a tear at his passing, but this guy represents everything unchristian and evil about American evangelical "christianity".

okey FW. How far do you extend your own "Say no ill of the deceased" policy. If bin Laden gets killed will you say pious-sounding homilies about the deceased or will you be happy?

You're comparing Binladen to Falwell? A classic example of liberal moral equivalence doctrine - and 100% wrong. Gimme a fucking break.

Falwell - judgmental, hypocrite, annoying

Binladen - mass murderer, enslaver of women

Hmmm. Yes, I will celebrate when he dies - but I suspect that he's already gone.

Pardon my ignorance, I never paid him or any other televangelist much attention, but did he really hate people? I don't doubt he may have been off his rocker and said a lot of foolish things, but "hate" is such a buzz-word that's way overused these days when it's not always very accurate. I just get peeved at the equating of hatred to the belief a given action is morally wrong.

It's not about moral equivalence at all. But we both agree that it's OK to celebrate the deaths of bad people. I just include hatemongers like Falwell in my list of "bad people".

Not sure I'd call him a "hatemonger". I never liked his approach, but among other things he did promote family values. I suppose those of you who value unrestrained boofing in bath houses felt like your toes were stepped on. In reality you should be thanking the man. He gave you tatoo-sportin', salad-sandwich-chompin', annoying little hippies something to bitch about. I think you'll miss him.

I think by now the term "family values" carries far more negative conotation than positive. As we know, the fv (as i'll refer to them now on ) what the rules applies to all these standard families. I'd say they are a bit out of touch. People's family lines have been much more fluid than they have been in the past. A divorsed woman is on longer the pariah she used to be. A kid who experiemented with drugs for a while can be contrite and come back into the fold. A stable, committed gay couple can have kids and be active church members. And I am happy for these people. I am happy that churchs are evolving to keep up with what God is throwing at them. I see the old stalwarts as the dying bred; and as they die, positive things will come from it. Just off the top of my head:

1. he is free to meet his maker

2.someone else can take up the torch and run with it. Maybe new leadership blood will give a small infusion of new life and ideas.

3. folks are getting tired of being judged by men like him; maybe as they die off, a changing of the guard might be initiated.

4. his dealth allows those people who were affected by him to now show that effect publicly--with tears or cheers. I would hope that he would appreciate so many people expressing themselves about him and the topic of religion.

I can keep going, but I bet you are already bored.

More accurately, he's in for no surprise.

Or, he will lose the ability to tell that there is no surprise and will be compounded with dust whereto he is kin and by way of a worm and a fish go progress through the guts of an atheist.

Ah lahk yo paraphrase

So where do you draw the line between those bad people whose deaths should be respected and those who should be reveled in? I would speculate that many suicides were a result of the influential intolerance preached by those such as Falwell. His absence will eliminates some of that intolerance, making the world a better place. I'm sure he did some good, but so do most of the bad guys.

"hate·mon·ger /ˈheɪtˌmʌŋgər, -ˌmɒŋ-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[heyt-muhng-ger, -mong-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

a person who kindles hatred, enmity, or prejudice in others."

sounds pretty accurate to me.

I would speculate that many suicides were a result of the influential intolerance preached by those such as Falwell.

I would "speculate" that the hatred espoused by members of this forum against Christians, Bush, and a myriad of others exemplifies intolerance and makes this world a much worse place to live in. :wave:

The responses posted here have been interesting insights into individual character.

I gotta agree with Mr. Fairweather, there be a WHOLE LOT OF HATE being expressed here.

Jerry Falwell would probably tell you that he didn't "hate anyone"; he seemed to be of the "love the sinner, hate the sin" variety. Ironically, he probably had a lot less hate in him than many of the people posting here! The man certainly had some standards that were apparently different from many of those contributing their joy to his death.

The guy was entitled to his opinion, JUST LIKE YOU, and if you think democracy and a free society are so great, than you have to put up with his stuff JUST LIKE HE HAD TO PUT UP WITH YOURS. Or, we can just subscribe to a curious form of liberal fascism and shut him down because we don't like what he says because his views don't fit the parameters of our particular version of the "open and accepting" paradigm; kinda like the old "I don't tolerate intolerance" paradox.

Go ahead, spew your hate, love-pretenders! There....feel better now?

Hippy.jpg