scrambles this summer

rpm4463

I visit washington every summer and always try to get in some 1 day or 2 day scrambles up peaks. I'm planning on the Three Fingers, south peak this summer. I've read there are ladders near the summit, were they in good shape last summer? I will be there in mid august this summer.

Any other suggestions for scramble this summer in north cascades or that area?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I visit washington every summer and always try to get in some 1 day or 2 day scrambles up peaks. I'm planning on the Three Fingers, south peak this summer. I've read there are ladders near the summit, were they in good shape last summer?

The Mountaineers take care of the lookout and ladders, and do maintenance work up there every summer. They'll be in good shape.

Some people who haven't been there obsess about the ladder proposition--it the snow slopes you cross where you have greater chance of falling and ending up in a bad place. Some of the snow crossing are in the shade until afternoon and can get icy. I would make sure everyone in the party knows how to use their ice axe.

OTOH, very late in the summer, usually by Labor Day weekend, the snow on the approach ridges is melted out and you can walk a trail where snow slopes had been earlier. (Except for the very last snow field leading to the lookout.)

Vesper rocks, and you can link it with Sperry pretty easily.

The following are excellent workouts with a little 3rd or 4th class and some great views at the top:

Kaleetan (S ridge).

Baring.

Del Campo.

i've read reports that the hike in is confusing and hard to follow...or maybe there is a different way?

I read similar reports before I did it a few years ago but found that it was actually pretty straightforward to get in there. Smoot's book "Climbing Washington's Mountains" has an easy to follow description if I remember correctly.

Among a host of others that are good scrambles, I would recommend Sloan. Great, varied terrain and amazing views.