Compass/neddle balance question

If I take a compass purchased in Canada to Honduras/Central America will needle balance cause false readings? I understand there to be 5 different zones, and Sunnto recommends that you buy a compass there or get a global compass which allows 20deg of tilt to the housing without drag. Older research splits it up into the two hemispheres. For those of you who have traveled/climbed in other countries, what is your experience?

Thanks,

Alia

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

False readings will be pretty likely, given the large swing in latitudes you're going to be going through. You'll be in Zone 2, if I remember my zones correctly, so you're one (really large) zone away from the compass's "home port". If you're careful and tilt the compass to counteract the magnetic pull on the needle, you should still be able to use your current compass. The question you have to ask yourself is, "Do I want to remember to be doing this tilting exercise in a 60 mph whiteout at 20 below zero so I can get my ass back to Camp 1?" Take the safe route and break out the extra shekels for a global. It'll be good for anywhere else you may want to go. And shit man, you're spending a pirage's treasure to get down there and climb; what's another $60-$70 at this point?

• 4 weeks later...

are you talking about the difference in variation from here to there.(the difference between true and magnetic north) or are you guys talking about magnetic dip.(the compass trying to allign itself with the lines of flux) Most upscale compasses can be changed for variation and magnetic dip is only an issue near the poles.

• 2 weeks later...

where are you going to find a sub20 60mph whiteout in Honduras???

the current description on suunto.com describes just 2 zones - northern hemisphere (both Canada and Central America fall into Northern hemisphere) and southern.

I suspect your compass would work just fine but it's always good practice to make sure the needle is free to spin before you trust the reading you take.

where are you going to find a sub20 60mph whiteout in Honduras???

:blush: On that new mountain they have down there. It's over 30,000 feet tall! What, you mean you haven't heard about it?

SCORE: sobo = 0 points for reading comprehension of OP.