5 climbers missing on Hood

kweb

Do people place wands anymore? A couple of friends and I did Baker last year on June 21st... midweek, nobody else around except for a group doing crevasse rescue practice low on the glacier; part of the reason nobody was around was the weather forecast showed some chance of cloudy weather. We took 75 wands (25 each, very light weight) and placed them every 55 meters on the Easton glacier... they thought it was overkill at first, but I talked them into it since we were all pretty new for this kind of trip. The trip up was clear as can be, but we came down in a partial whiteout. We were all glad we had the wands in place. We had maps, compasses, and GPS too, but for the trip down the wands were all we needed.

It's basically the Hansel and Gretle approach, but it works.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey alpinefox, learn how to spot sarcasm, you fucking dolt.

There aren't any sarcasm brackets around the quotation of your post that appeared on the OregonLive website, so I guess they didn't get your sarcasm either.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2007/05/popular_online_climbing_forum.html

Now folks can say, "even climbers want more regulation of climbers on Hood".

edit: edited to remove my mean comment since frikadeller is trying to get his comment removed/amended from the OL website.

**RANT RANT RANT** :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I climbed Leutholds on Fri night/Sat morning. We knew bad weather was coming. We left earlier then planned, we moved fast, we knew there was a short weather window, till about noon on Saturday. The weather came in exactly as it was foecasted. "surprise snowstorm?" my ass. We got to the summit at 9, saw the dark clouds and the winds coming up and said, it's time to get the hell out of dodge, glad we left early and made good time.

They don't need mandatory MLUs up there, they need mandatory IQ tests. They also need to charge for rescues. Maybe these jackasses will take the mountain a little more seriously. I was amazed at how many people were still trudging up the mountain at 11:00 or 12:00 on Saturday when we were on our way down, when the snow showers were starting, right on schedule.

Never mind the scene I had witnessed earlier, a "short rope team" of 5 people, literally, slipping and sliding down the west crater... seriously the one girl fell 5 times. If you can't walk down a snowy hill without falling on your ass the whole way, you shouldn't be allowed to climb a ladder much less a mountain.

In short, I'm glad I climbed Leutholds, it was a great route, because now I don't have any inclination to go up Hood ever again. It's downright embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for the rest of the climbing community who take climbing seriously and embarrassed for the rescuers who take their jobs seriously.

These last 3 situations on Hood were all due to the same problem, weather that was forecast way in advance that people ignored. I hope they pass legislation to charge for rescues, it's the only reasonable solution I can think of to make people take a little responsibility for themselves. Maybe if it cost 10k for the cavalry to come people will think twice about their decisions.

I'm in love

**RANT RANT RANT** :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I climbed Leutholds on Fri night/Sat morning. We knew bad weather was coming. We left earlier then planned, we moved fast, we knew there was a short weather window, till about noon on Saturday. The weather came in exactly as it was foecasted. "surprise snowstorm?" my ass. We got to the summit at 9, saw the dark clouds and the winds coming up and said, it's time to get the hell out of dodge, glad we left early and made good time.

They don't need mandatory MLUs up there, they need mandatory IQ tests. They also need to charge for rescues. Maybe these jackasses will take the mountain a little more seriously. I was amazed at how many people were still trudging up the mountain at 11:00 or 12:00 on Saturday when we were on our way down, when the snow showers were starting, right on schedule.

Never mind the scene I had witnessed earlier, a "short rope team" of 5 people, literally, slipping and sliding down the west crater... seriously the one girl fell 5 times. If you can't walk down a snowy hill without falling on your ass the whole way, you shouldn't be allowed to climb a ladder much less a mountain.

In short, I'm glad I climbed Leutholds, it was a great route, because now I don't have any inclination to go up Hood ever again. It's downright embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for the rest of the climbing community who take climbing seriously and embarrassed for the rescuers who take their jobs seriously.

These last 3 situations on Hood were all due to the same problem, weather that was forecast way in advance that people ignored. I hope they pass legislation to charge for rescues, it's the only reasonable solution I can think of to make people take a little responsibility for themselves. Maybe if it cost 10k for the cavalry to come people will think twice about their decisions.

I'm in love

Are you saying you agree with the asshat comments? Because your next post:

Only adding that IT'S NOT THE F*EN GOVERMENTS RESPONSIBILITY TO EITHER GO HELP PEOPLE IN NEED, OT TO REGULATE THOS US US WHO CHOOSE TO GO IN THESE PLACES.

...directly contradicts what that guy said. I'm confused.

So are you an asshat who believes in "IQ tests for prospective climbers" and "charging climbers for rescue costs" or not?

Are you saying you agree with the asshat comments? Because your next post directly contradicts what that guy said. I'm confused.

So are you an asshat who believes in "IQ tests for prospective climbers" and "charging climbers for rescue costs" or not?

I have a sense that this is a trick question.

Went back and re-read Motomagics rant. DOHHH (Homer Simpson noise) I do not think the government needs to baby sit either you are me.

I believe in freedom, and see that govement being "forced" to get involved to help idiots, causes the govenment to want to "force" the terms and conditions on folks like us. I do NOT think they should be involved before or after the fact, or making up the rules, as long the people we are affecting with our own poor decision are ourselves.

My poor reading comprehension skills are to blame for not finishing Motomagics full paragraph.

The "So are you an asshat" comment you note at the end might go either way depending who jumps in to spray so let's save that for a later thread. :grin:

Happy now?

Yes.

Thanks.

And so as you would have it, the owner of that blog (I am not suprrised by this) did not post the entire response I sent him/her....

Oh well... thats the media for ya.

(also noticed that he/she snipped the comment about the MLU's (which I thought would have indicated it was "sarcasm", but what do I know))

edit:

I have removed my comments, on this incident.

Hmmm....

Kids: make this a lesson....

the media watches CC.com....

And WILL publish your comments WITHOUT your permission...

Posters beware.

Edited by Frikadeller

Happy now?

Yes.

Thanks.

And so as you would have it, the owner of that blog (I am not suprrised by this) did not post the entire response I sent him/her....

Oh well... thats the media for ya.

(also noticed that he/she snipped the comment about the MLU's (which I thought would have indicated it was "sarcasm", but what do I know))

edit:

I have removed my comments, on this incident.

Hmmm....

Kids: make this a lesson....

the media watches CC.com....

And WILL publish your comments WITHOUT your permission...

Posters beware.

I am fucking fed up with the media trying to create the news instead of just reporting the news. Just had to get that off my chest.

Edited by bluffview