fishproducts ??

underworld

(edited due to guilt trip)

russ is responsive to e-mail...

i hear the gear is great...

i hear the service isn't that great...

judge for yourself and not based on fellow climbers' experiences...

Edited by underworld

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer, you should know better than to order anything from them in the spring/summer. Heck we even have Yosemite TRs showing up from our own cc.com crowd!

Seriously though, I've had good experiences with Russ but it's always been at other times of year. They do have a reputation for not being timely if there is climbing to be done. Good stuff though. I hope you get your gear soon.

It's well known by most in this activity that Russ is a climber and prompt delivery is not expected when ordering Fish Products. However, it's bomber gear and well worth it.

In the past when I've needed gear for a trip on a specific date, I've simply and plainly told Russ and received the order in time for the dance, no problem. Are you just wanting it, or do you have a trip planned? Have you communicated clearly with Russ?

I'm all for supporting the little guy and am willing to cut some slack, especially for those such as Russ who are innovative and creative, are into it for the love of the activity and are not getting rich from it.

What really stinks are folks like you who complain to the world on the net about something fairly minor, and then claim "fishproducts stink!!!" WTF.

As I just explained in an email to "underworld".... these forum assassinations really suck. I hate to have to defend against them, and nothing really good comes from them on either side.

Here are the facts:

He did order early.

I tried to get the swag to him early, but it did not work out. The key word here is "early". Sometimes things just don't get out the door and other things will take precedent.

His "Drop Dead Date" for receiving the order is May 17th so he can make his trip with the gear. Key words here are "May 17th". That is in 7 days.

His gear is on the way and will probably be there tomorrow, May 11th. I'm not the postman, so I can't be sure of this.

So if you boil it all down, he has the stuff about 5 or 6 days BEFORE his trip. I hardly think that makes us "STINK", and this particular instance is hardly a case for landing thousands of pairs of eyes onto an internet forum post that proclaims we "STINK". In fact, it is posts like this that flat out piss me off. No real name, missing some real facts, and just tossed out there to float around on the web forever. Have more respect for the permanence of the medium before spraying or as you put in your email that I received earlier this evening, "hey man...sorry to dis... just itchin to have my gear and leaving soon (SOON) for yosemite. i'll rave about the gear when i get it - just went on a quick rant. I don't/didn't have the intention to tarnish the name."

Great first post for us here on your forum.

yours,

Russ Walling

It's well known by most in this activity that Russ is a climber and prompt delivery is not expected when ordering Fish Products. However, it's bomber gear and well worth it.

In the past when I've needed gear for a trip on a specific date, I've simply and plainly told Russ and received the order in time for the dance, no problem. Are you just wanting it, or do you have a trip planned? Have you communicated clearly with Russ?

I'm all for supporting the little guy and am willing to cut some slack, especially for those such as Russ who are innovative and creative, are into it for the love of the activity and are not getting rich from it.

What really stinks are folks like you who complain to the world on the net about something fairly minor, and then claim "fishproducts stink!!!" WTF.

why cut him slack just because he is a climber. i was ordering gear from a business....not just some dude.

yes, i'm leaving for a trip...but this is besides the point. it's customer service that is the point. if i pay for a product, it is not my 'need' that should be the decider of when i get it.

fairly minor?? how do you figure? > $400 worth of gear isn't all that minor.

i'll reserve the right to like the gear when it gets here, but it is a pain in the ass to get packages at my condo and being told it will be here on a certain date makes me believe that it will be.

If that's such an issue, you can easily get a tracking number and track it yourself. Your reply doesn't change my opinion at all; it only reinforces it. I feel for you, but you have to take some responsibility on your own. I too once had to wait on a haul bag from Russ before a Yose trip, and had it delivered by Russ after a first projected date of when I would receive it, but got it in time--especially once I was clear with him when I needed it and what I needed it for.

Perhaps you need to communicate with him more/better. Now that you've brought this shit up to the world, and to be fair, you at a minimum owe it now to let Russ know you posted your shit on this board, and you need to let us know when you receive your order, if not to let us know what further comm's you have with Russ. You made the bed with your original post, you now have to lay in it. Shit happens. Do your best in a positive way to reconcile problems, rather than resort to whining on the net about your late delivery.

Hope you get your stuff soon, and you have a great Yose trip.

--------

Edited to add: In the time I made my point above, I see underworld made some major edits to at least 2 of his posts here, and Russ replied. OK, at least glad it worked out.

Russ: :tup:

underworld: I was initially unsure about giving you a thumbs down, especially with your edited contrition. Too bad I didn't quote your original message so others can see what you originally wrote. Still, the original grievous act outweighs all: :tdown:

Edited by pindude

i'll reserve the right to like the gear when it gets here, but it is a pain in the ass to get packages at my condo and being told it will be here on a certain date makes me believe that it will be.

If that's such an issue, you can easily get a tracking number and track it yourself. Your reply doesn't change my opinion at all; it only reinforces it. I feel for you, but you have to take some responsibility on your own. I too once had to wait on a haul bag from Russ before a Yose trip, and had it delivered by Russ after a first projected date of when I would receive it, but got it in time--especially once I was clear with him when I needed it and what I needed it for.

Perhaps you need to communicate with him more/better. Now that you've brought this shit up to the world, and to be fair, you at a minimum owe it now to let Russ know you posted your shit on this board, and you need to let us know when you receive your order, if not to let us know what further comm's you have with Russ. You made the bed with your original post, you now have to lay in it. Shit happens. Do your best in a positive way to reconcile problems, rather than resort to whining on the net about your late delivery.

responsibility?? communicate??

geez..i'm not asking anyone on a date.. i paid money for a product. i've been in conctact with russ on e-mail. why do i owe it to anyone to tell them about this post. do all the other rants about people and businesses need to be reported to the subjects? that's bogus.

word of mouth advertising can be ones best or worst enemy. that's why businesses need to be on top of it.

i deleted the original post because russ sent me a private message right away and i did feel bad about going here before going to him. so i replaced the rant with just some simple statements of what is going on. since then, russ has posted part of an e-mail i sent directly to him.

we all gotta take the good with the bad with this internet stuff..

responsibility?? communicate??

geez..i'm not asking anyone on a date.. i paid money for a product. i've been in conctact with russ on e-mail. why do i owe it to anyone to tell them about this post. do all the other rants about people and businesses need to be reported to the subjects? that's bogus.

word of mouth advertising can be ones best or worst enemy. that's why businesses need to be on top of it.

i deleted the original post because russ sent me a private message right away and i did feel bad about going here before going to him. so i replaced the rant with just some simple statements of what is going on. since then, russ has posted part of an e-mail i sent directly to him.

we all gotta take the good with the bad with this internet stuff..

Damn right you should've taken resposibility, and you obviously not only failed to communicate well with Russ and this forum, you lied. Reread the whole thread if you don't know how apparent this is.

I see my initial presumptions about your first post were true. Good job, you've defined yourself as one lacking credibility. I'm not going to debate you any further, I'm going to bed. Others can take it up tomorrow.

lied? huh??

ordered feb 11

original drop dead date.. may 17

in march asked to bump up the need date to april 1.

quick reply from russ saying it shouldn't be a problem

few more e-mails back and forth cuz he asked me to REMIND him.

was charged for the gear in early april

was told it would be out in a few days...in early april

still not here...

why is this a defendable way to do business??

Russ did me well with a haul bag I needed for my first Alaska trip and when I emailed him about a wear spot in the bag he replaced the panel in question gratis. Its been going strong on several trips over the years.

This is Fish Gear we're talking about here--not Walmart. Russ makes great products (I still regularly use my 40oz beer cozy with faux-alligator hide and handles for when I get pumped) and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him again. He participates in the community, provides excellent beta, and supports various events. He's a small business.

that's all well and understood. however, am i not entitled to voice my beefs with a business... small or not?

my main point now is less of what happened with my gear - but rather fish's 1st reaction to my complaint. the reason for going to small business in my mind is that they still (usually) hold to the "customer is always right" mantra. fish knew they had an unhappy customer and istead of trying to smooth that over and make sure i was happy "hey, sorry the stuff is late...what can we do to get your business again? how bout a free hat?"

instead it was lashing out at me and telling me i was wrong. and, btw - no follow up to see if i'd gotten the gear etc etc.

i ordered gear and got it at the last minute. this is customer service

if i ordered gear and got it asap and or was shown some more effort in making up for it being last minute - that would be GOOD customer service.

Edited by underworld

my main point now is less of what happened with my gear - but rather fish's 1st reaction to my complaint. the reason for going to small business in my mind is that they still (usually) hold to the "customer is always right" mantra. fish knew they had an unhappy customer and istead of trying to smooth that over and make sure i was happy "hey, sorry the stuff is late...what can we do to get your business again? how bout a free hat?"

instead it was lashing out at me and telling me i was wrong. and, btw - no follow up to see if i'd gotten the gear etc etc.

i ordered gear and got it at the last minute. this is customer service

if i ordered gear and got it asap and or was shown some more effort in making up for it being last minute - that would be GOOD customer service.

Holy cow man.... I found out you were pissed when other customers directed me to this site to look at the banner of "FISH STINKS" that you launched. After that headline all bets are off. You got your stuff before your "drop dead date". It was a "maybe" to get it to you early. I told you this at the time. Maybe we just don't do enough hand holding to suit your needs. Flip it over a few more times but remember the facts: your gear was there BEFORE your drop dead date. You tried to trash us on an internet forum before contacting us for a solution. I'm done here...

Russ

The gear is good, the delivery is suspect. I've got a bitchin big assed bag that has tits.

Damn: you pay extra for that or what?

And enquiring minds want to know if you share it with bivy partners?

(I still regularly use my 40oz beer cozy with faux-alligator hide and handles for when I get pumped)

Holy sheepdip I gots to get me one of dos'