Ice axes?

mtnrgr

I'm looking to get another general mountaineering ax to compliment my 90 cm REI moutain ax II (the beast as I like to refer to it). I'm looking for something shorter and lighter.

How long should a Mtneering axe be? I bought the 90 cm because I was using it on lots of gentle snow fields. I'm 6'1" and 230 lbs if that has anything to do with it.

How about the BD Raven?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check out the Grivel Air Tech RACING axe. Only 12 oz. but 120 bones Ouch!

In general, the tip of the pick should reach to just above your ankle when hanging straight down from your hand. I've climbed with several different lenghts of shafts and it's not that critical, I prefer one a little too short over one thats a little too long.

Take a look at a more affordable Grivel axe as well, the Pamir. Still plenty light with a traditional spike that'll bite hard ice better, also the teeth under the Air Tech axes extend real close to the shaft, I think you mignt run the risk of damaging your rope in a boot axe belay.

mtnrgr... I'm 6'1" as well and climb with my 66" grivel air tech axe almost everywhere. Seems to be ther perfect all around length for people of our height.

On Barrabes Grivel Air Tech Racing = 59.59 US and the Air Tech = 71.05 US. smile.gif" border="0 (They both normally sell well over a hundered dollars as Bronco said).

Those teeth on the air tech's aren't sharp at all; neither was the designer. As Beck says they are a bit close to the shaft for a boot axe belay. I carefully removed mine and I'm sure that I did not compromise the structural integrity.

Other than that they are great axes.

Mine now weighs 11.9 ounces [laf] Also, err on the side of short if you will ever use the pick for anything other than self arrest.

I agree with all previous posts. Grivel Air tech is the way to go and Barrabes is the place to get it at. Guide rules for right length are: if the spike touches the ground while you standing bear foot holding it in the head - its way too long.

Now open your hand and measure from the tip of your fingers to the ground. That should be the max length of axe shaft for you. Now, get the axe that is closer to it in head to spike length and prefer the shorter one if you smack in the middle between lengths. [geek]

i have the air tech racing axe, and i really like it. the lightness was a key factor for me. some folks have asked me if it's too lightweight and questioned if it could really dig in. i've only used it for ordinary glacier travel, no problems. it works fine for me in self-arrest practice. agreed that the teeth aren't terribly sharp. you can always sharpen them, which i've seen other people do on this particular axe. the teeth on the raven don't look very tough either.

out of curiosity, how does ordering from barrabes work out? do you have to pay much duty when you get the shipment in the u.s.? how long does a standard order take to arrive?

for what it's worth, I'm 6'0 and use a 60cm axe as my all-round snow/ice workhorse. it dangles from my wrist walking on flats, and the spike contacts the ground at about the angle I begin to feel like I might want a third point of contact. I'd look for the most durable thing you can find. Mine's a Forrest, but he's long gone... I've broken both BD and Interalp/Camp axes - the heads of both tools, not the shafts... but I've kept the Forrest for twenty+ years!