[TR] City of Rocks - 5/4/2007

cman

Trip: City of Rocks -

Date: 5/4/2007

Trip Report:

Did a road trip to city of rocks from 4/28 through 5/5. The first 4 days were great weather. It snowed and was colder the last few days but climbing was dry. We warmed up on some sport the first day, met a woman who tried to sell me a townhouse in seattle, after some future discussion it turns out my brother currently lives in her place. after a few laughs i turned down her offer :grin:

ryecrisp2.jpg

climber on rye crisp, elephant rock

ryecrisp1.jpg

Skyline2.jpg

Skyline1.jpg

Climbers on Skyline. We did this one, a super fun classic. It was a little runnout to the top, we found a few climbs like that.

Striperock.jpg

We climbed Cruel Shoes, a 3 pitch 5.7 classic on the large dome rock in the center of the pic.

On the 4th day we heard snow was in the forecast for that night, but the weather was so nice we did not believe it. Our denial ended when we were sitting in the truck sucking back beers and it was dumping.

Castlerock.jpg

Castle Rock. We climbed there one day and it is really cool. We climbed a 4 pitch 5.7 and a bunch of other stuff. Tons of route development here. There is a newer supplement to the existing guide, a printout really, that you can get in town.

Twinsisters.jpg

Twin sister. closed to climbing due to some mormon historic crap :mad:

Left on saturday, cold and high winds, and bouldered near shoshone falls.

Shoshone_falls.jpg

This is the site of Evel Knievel's historic Snake River canyon jump. That guy must have been crazy, it must be 1/2 a mile wide there

A really fun Trip. Cheap eats in Almo, 2 restaurants now!!, and a sweet hot springs. The camping was pricey, $12.72 a night?. Can't wait to go back and explore Castle Rocks some more.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twin sister. closed to climbing due to some mormon historic crap

Not True....

It was closed due to its proximity to the California Trail which runs right next to it. Furthermore a study was done to asses the impact climbers have on the area. The study found that climbers have little impact, yet the area still remains closed. You can climb on some of the formations by the twin sister, such as the BLM wall. Currently the access fund is suing, trying to regain access.

I believe the phrase is "visual pollution of the historic viewshed," though why that doesn't apply to the view from the twin sisters escapes me: roads, winnebagos, fences, and an ecosystem redefined by grazing. One cool tidbit is that the two adjacent similarly shaped domes are completely different rocks from different geological periods.

Here's the "historic viewshed": viewshed_pollution.jpg

view_from_twin_sisters.jpg

In other directions though, it's a nice view from up there, eh?

Hey! I think we may have run into the two of you at Castle Rock on Friday--must be you guys since we were the only four in the park. I agree that place is pretty rad; I'd like to go back there to spend more time, especially when it's not as windy.

We spent Saturday in SLC at a buddy's Cinco de Mayo party since it was snowing in the Cottonwoods. Sunday and Monday we were back at City. The wind persisted through Sunday night, but Monday was a bluebird day and about 70 degrees. Overall, it was better weather than the last few times I've been there. We also climbed Cruel Shoes on Stripe Rock--topped out to great views of the lower park.

Glad you guys had fun...

Cheers.

yeah it was a little chilly that day. We climbed crimson arete at the end, it was in the shade and hands were numb by the top.

it was pretty windy on wednesday when we topped out on cruel shoes so we did not get the chance to hang out on top, no time for pictures.

Love CofR. I grew up on Burley but only bouldered around till the last couple years!! Another sweet sport route is 4-pitch 5.7 Jackson's Thumb. It is a pillar on the west side of China Dome and has a great view over the whole valley. RAD!!

Nice guys! I have fallen madly in love with city over the past two years. Can't wait to get back!

Yeah, you are always talking about how much you love it!! I love the enchantments like that too! Have you checked out Castle crags there? It is pretty fun! The beta is in the ranger station, and probably on the online too.

-Kat