Random stuff for the aspiring climber

Jens

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's where a dumbass clips their daisy chain from front to back under their crotch instead of going around the waist

Whatever thats the way to go, around the waist..ohh so your daisy is over or under your gear..so when you clip a piece back you actually include the daisy..perfect

oh wait even better, when you go for a high step you actually put your knee through the loop of the daisy and get stuck..

this is probably the same as those folks who climb with a gear sling, you either love it or hate it

I am one of those dumbass climbers - and proud of it! ;)

I also dont like using gear slings on a climb! My balance is much better when the gear is distributed around my waist.

Oh ya - being from MN I also like to belay (NOT! :eek:)

Edited by carolyn

With all due respect to ya'all, I just hate the rules you folks are imposing on climbing. I simply believe that the leash hung between the legs is far more simple and out of the way then wrapping it around your waist, though I do neither. If the weather is right and all I have is polypro, would be nice to be able to climb without ridicule.

Just a rebel I guess, but I climb to get away from the strict rules of society, not to find a new set of rules.

My humble opinion.

With all due respect to ya'all, I just hate the rules you folks are imposing on climbing. I simply believe that the leash hung between the legs is far more simple and out of the way then wrapping it around your waist, though I do neither. If the weather is right and all I have is polypro, would be nice to be able to climb without ridicule.

Just a rebel I guess, but I climb to get away from the strict rules of society, not to find a new set of rules.

My humble opinion.

Exhebitionist

With all due respect to ya'all, I just hate the rules you folks are imposing on climbing. ..... If the weather is right and all I have is polypro, would be nice to be able to climb without ridicule.

My humble opinion.

Your daisy chain is too tight.

Edited by Bug

In my humble opinion, the only places daisy chains are handy are for

*big wall techy aid routes.

*Cleaning or prepping new routes.

Their are better, safer, more versitale, lighter things for all other applications

Whatever thats the way to go, around the waist..ohh so your daisy is over or under your gear..so when you clip a piece back you actually include the daisy..perfect

oh wait even better, when you go for a high step you actually put your knee through the loop of the daisy and get stuck..

Gawd, how I would love to see someone hanging 20 feet below their last clip with their knee tied up to their chest. I might just die laughing on the spot.

*"Falling!" on a sport route doesn't mean take in or bear down on the rope to hold the fall.

OK, so I actually am a newbie and will prove it with a serious question. What should I do when you yell "Falling!" on a sport route? I understand that the quickdraw is holding the fall, but aren't I the belayer still holding the other end of the rope?

*"Falling!" on a sport route doesn't mean take in or bear down on the rope to hold the fall.

OK, so I actually am a newbie and will prove it with a serious question. What should I do when you yell "Falling!" on a sport route? I understand that the quickdraw is holding the fall, but aren't I the belayer still holding the other end of the rope?

The idea is on an overhanging or at least vertical route, if you catch a fall too aggressively the climber gets torqued into the wall. I guess someone broke an ankle at VW a few years ago from this. You are supposed to give a "soft" catch, what is called a dynamic belay letting a little rope run through your belya device. Of cours one a low angle wall or if the climber is near a ledge or ground, you are better served to stop them quickly.

The idea is on an overhanging or at least vertical route, if you catch a fall too aggressively the climber gets torqued into the wall. I guess someone broke an ankle at VW a few years ago from this. You are supposed to give a "soft" catch, what is called a dynamic belay letting a little rope run through your belya device. Of cours one a low angle wall or if the climber is near a ledge or ground, you are better served to stop them quickly.

OK, well that makes sense. I figured letting go of the rope and yelling "Flying!" wasn't the right answer... :D

uhhh...that was me and it was 7 years ago at the seattle vw gym and i collided with the tunnel roof (which has since been filled in)...i completely SHATTERED my foot from a too aggressive catch and lost upwards of 4 months before it was healed...

ideally, as steep as that wall was, i should've just dropped into space...kinda shitty, the end result.

Edited by RuMR

I dig shorts over PP. You dorks are missing the point. Typical westsida's. Concerned only of fashion and looking good as opposed to ....

Shorts over PP very nice.

ok, here goes with my first post, and I'm going to out myself -- i wear shorts over polypro all the time. And capris over polypro. Sometimes polypro over polypro. sometimes skirts or a sarong over polypro. it's true and dammit, i'm unashamed.

• 2 weeks later...

About an hour or two after my GF read this exact post and I explained what a daisy thong was, I was instructing her on how to clean anchors in her room and what does she do? Puts on her harness with the daisy chain right up the middle. Now this is the first time I have actually seen someone model a daisy thong and I just about died at the irony of having just shown her this post. Chicks love their thongs!