Random stuff for the aspiring climber

Jens

Some random stuff that you may not get from a guidebook as you learn the sport.

*Quickdraws clipped to bolts on a route are meant to be left in place.

*A red piece of string or cloth tied to a bolt means that the route is in progress and may be dangerous due to uncleaned bolts and temporary bolts. You might get hurt if you get on it.

*Whenever you hear the term "mounties" used, the speaker is referring to the "Mountaineers Organization" (it could be any of the branches- Seattle, Everett, Tacoma etc.) It blows me away how many new folks I talk to don't know this.

*"Falling!" on a sport route doesn't mean take in or bear down on the rope to hold the fall.

* If you want to be cool, avoid; leashes on ice tools, shorts over polypro, helmets on sport routes, snowshoes, daisy chain thongs, and overloaded packs.

Spray away! :brew:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some random stuff that you may not get from a guidebook as you learn the sport.

*Quickdraws clipped to bolts on a route are meant to be left in place. booty

*A red piece of string or cloth tied to a bolt means that the route is in progress a project and may be dangerous due to uncleaned bolts and temporary bolts. You might get hurt if you get on it. someone can't climb it yet so if you jump on and redpoint you can get credited with a first ascent.

*Whenever you hear the term "mounties" used, the speaker is referring to the "Mountaineers Organization" (it could be any of the branches- Seattle, Everett, Tacoma etc.) It blows me away how many new folks I talk to don't know this. RCMP

*"Falling!" on a sport route doesn't mean take in or bear down on the rope to hold the fall. It means someone is projecting way over their head.

* If you want to be cool, avoid; leashes on ice tools, shorts over polypro, helmets on sport routes, snowshoes, daisy chain thongs, and overloaded packs.

WHAT is this?? Do they sell them in the lingerie section at REI? My interest is piqued....

Thanks Jens. I've been reading Long's book and suddenly I'll read something and realize what people have been talking about on a thread that made no sense before.

So can someone explain to this newbie about shorts over polypro? Was it an old fad or something?

it's where a dumbass clips their daisy chain from front to back under their crotch instead of going around the waist

Ohhhhh. I get it now. Much less exciting than I was imagining. :(

Ah. I was thinking Victoria's Secret daisy chain...

;)

I think it is something that Lady Heather will have on store for her guests...oh well we will have to wait and see if it shows up on this weeks CSI.

Thanks Jens. I've been reading Long's book and suddenly I'll read something and realize what people have been talking about on a thread that made no sense before.

So can someone explain to this newbie about shorts over polypro? Was it an old fad or something?

So back in the old days...I'm afraid to admit this, but I was in the mounties basic class at age 14 back in the 70s (no shit) Polypro underwear was a new thing and at one basic class and on a few field trips shorts over polypro was the recommended garb. It was lighter and cheaper than most availiable outdoor wear and everybody was doing it. :grlaf:

At some point folks clued in on the fact that you could get good pants that would hold up to outdoor conditions while not making you look like a complete dork. I mean even today you can legally walk down the street in your underwear without the fear of being arrested but with the fear of being ridiculed by everybody that sees you.

Shorts over polypro stuck around for a long time. I'm sorry to say that I have a picture of me on top of Slesse from the late 80s or early 90s after climbing the NE Buttress dressed in shorts over polypro.

It's nice to have cloths that you can wear while climbing yet at the end of the trip still walk into a store without feeling ridiculous.

Shorts over polypro stuck around for a long time. I'm sorry to say that I have a picture of me on top of Slesse from the late 80s or early 90s after climbing the NE Buttress dressed in shorts over polypro.

It's still quite common, actually.

:)

Edited by lizard_brain

It's still quite common, actually.

:)

BTW... Known as the "Mountaineer Elf" look.

;)

it's where a dumbass clips their daisy chain from front to back under their crotch instead of going around the waist

Whatever thats the way to go, around the waist..ohh so your daisy is over or under your gear..so when you clip a piece back you actually include the daisy..perfect

oh wait even better, when you go for a high step you actually put your knee through the loop of the daisy and get stuck..

this is probably the same as those folks who climb with a gear sling, you either love it or hate it