Question for stairmaster users / owners

Im considering purchasing a used StairMaster 4000pt to add to my home gym. Trick is my gym is in my basement that has about 7' ceilings. I’m 5' 10" tall. I can currently use my elliptical trainer in there with about 1" clearance from the top of my head to the ceiling.......no problem unless I get real crazy on it.

My questions regarding the StairMasters are:

1) Can you get a good workout while keeping the pedals lower to the floor? Its been years since I’ve belonged to a gym but I do recall that some people would workout lower or higher up on the steps. The ones that worked out lower might have been doing longer, slower steps but I don’t remember.

2) When you are at full stride, what is the difference in height between your upper and lower foot?

The top height of the pedals on my elliptical are about 18". But when I am actively moving, one foot is going up as the other is going down. So I never stand as high as 18". Make sense? Really the height I stand at is half the distance between the highest and lowest stride.

Looks like the top height of the steps on a StairMaster are 16" so unless I’m missing something, it should work........right?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you'd probably get a better whole body workout from a rowing machine and wouldn't have to worry about headroom. Keeping pedals lower to the floor sounds like jogging with your knees tied together. It sure doesn't seem like you'd be happy with that limitation for long term and if you are spending a bunch of money on workout gear it would suck to get frustrated and bored quickly. If you really want to step up and down on something you could probably score a milkcrate for way cheaper than the Stairmaster ;) ... or if you want more headroom maybe dig a hole in the floor ... ythen you could move the hole around and just get your workout that way :P

Rowing machines are awesome........just not for me. They have always bothered my low back. Not sure how it would be post surgery but why go back to sometime that tweeked it before.

Really the elliptical that I have now works just fine. 7 feet in front of my elliptical is a wall mounted lcd tv. I can somewhat zone out with that. If I do get the stairmaster, that would be put in front of the tv. I'm just bored with the elliptical.

Fern, as far as digging holes to get in shape..... If I really felt that would help my climbing I'd be all for it. But aside form digging a platform and maybe digging my partner out of some avalanche debree (I say maybe cuz he talks a lot, I could continue on in peace and quite)..... I think that training would be wasted time. Thanks for the alternative thinking though.

Its been awhile since my gym retired their stairmasters but what I recall is when you are high up on them it is more like bicycling and when you're lowdown its like running thru surf. I would go up or down for a change of pace/rest from an intermediate height, which was somewhat like ... walking up stairs! (sorry, couldn't resist)

If you already have an elliptical, it would be a good idea to get a completely different type of equipment because the movement on the two is very similar. Go for a recumbant bike and you'll be able to mix up the routine.