Mt Hood Cnditions

and the "Old Crater Variation" has a "hard to miss" boot pack.

Might it look something like this??? Went up today (5-26) and it's practically a freeway.

IMG_0040_Medium_.jpg

The biggest hazzard today was the large number of rope teams all jammed up trying to descend the old crater variation.

As well as today. :(

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had decent luck calling the ranger station:

Hood River Ranger District - Hood River Ranger Station

6780 Highway 35

Parkdale, Oregon 97041

Hours Monday - Saturday, 8:00am - 4:30pm

(Closed 1/2 hr for lunch - Saturdays only) Closed National Holidays

Telephone: Voice: (541) 352-6002

Good luck!

-r

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of bad weather, I thought I was being clever by heading up this morning (Monday) and avoiding the weekend front that was supposed to blow through Sun night. Before I even reached the top of Palmer I could hardly make out one lift tower to the next through the near white-out conditions. I bailed and had to scrape the truck window back in the parking lot. Of course by the time I got home the weather broke and the sun came out. :cry:

June_25_2007.jpg

Was thinking to camp at I-Rock Saturday then climb the Leuthold route, changed mind after seeing this. Probably more than our two-man team could handle given the anticipated bad weather coming in.

Hood_Reid_June_23_07.jpg

conditions look perfect for yocums!

Our party of 4 may be looking to climb Hood early next week. Can anyone provide an update on the Pearly Gates and the vertical ice step? If we choose the Old Chute variation, at what altitude would we traverse off of the Hogsback? Which is the preferred route right now?

Our party of 4 may be looking to climb Hood early next week. Can anyone provide an update on the Pearly Gates and the vertical ice step? If we choose the Old Chute variation, at what altitude would we traverse off of the Hogsback? Which is the preferred route right now?

There's is a very distinctive cattle path from the Hogsback left and up thru the Old Chute. You can't miss it. Or take the other distinctive path thru the PG. Although with the schrund being pretty open now and the warm temperatures, I would avoid it. You can make the call when you get there.