Liberty Bell... dry?

skibum1087

I am thinking about bailing out of school on Wendsday a little early to go try something at washington pass, probaly the beckey route on liberty bell. Has anyone bene up there recently or have experience this time of year up there. Will the route be climbable or will the low angle pitches just be snowfields? Also will the rap stations be completly snowed in? Thanks a lot

-Spencer

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed it once in early may. It was mostly snow free as it generally gets some south sun. The 2nd pitch was covered in verglas, which made it a little spicy but you could avoid a lot of it. The ramps down to the first/only rappel were snowy.

Thanks for the heads up ketch, I did actually see that report. I figuired that the conditions on a 45 degree couilor would be different than on a steeper rock climb. Perhaps conditions on the becky route would be similar to the south arete on sews? does this make sense based on your experiences or do you think the snow conditions found in the couilor will be similar to on the Beckey route? Either way we're going to head up there and check things out, worse comes to worse we just get in a good day of skiing. I appreciate everyones input.

-Spencer

My experience would match what Powderx just shared. Usually I think the becky route clears clears a little faster than the arete and a noticably slower than the coulor.

I would say go for it. That route is always fun but one of my favorite times was when it was nearly a mixed route. It was possible in shoes but still had some snow and ice to deal with.