Self Rescue books

jfs1978

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF the title above is the one by Andy Tyson and Molly Loomis, it's a good book. Some of the pictures are a little hard for me to figure out (b/c they're black and white) but overall I think it's the most comprehensive and useful book on the subject.

IF the title above is the one by Andy Tyson and Molly Loomis, it's a good book. Some of the pictures are a little hard for me to figure out (b/c they're black and white) but overall I think it's the most comprehensive and useful book on the subject.
It is that book. Just click on the link.

Take a course or hire a guide and utilize the text as a reference. I have found data contained within US texts to be very effective, yet still in progress to what I have seen and witnessed from Canadian courses and guides.

Take a trip up north and check out some of the courses run in Squamish.

Have you checked the web for material?

have a look at these gateways:

http://www.rescuedynamics.ca/articles/pdfs/RescueATC.pdf

http://www.rescuedynamics.ca/articles/pdfs/RescueMunter.pdf

What discipline are you seeking?

Crevasse?

http://pbskids.org/nova/denali/crevasse.html

That one was ok for three person parties

Have a look at second hand bookstores for some of the older English books. Try any from Bill March, Nigel Shepherd, Andy Selters. Freedom is a good reference, but contact a school up here. The best rescue course that I took was taught by a ACMGA examiner.

Edited by blueserac

Ok, so before hitting the pub on the days that you get rained or weathered out, use those opportunities to plactice self-rescue. It will enhance your trust with your buddies. It will increase your climbing grade. It will allow you to understand yourself and climbing in greater detail.

There's also Self Rescue by David J. Fasulo. Fasulo's descriptions are not so straight forward and don't always match the illustrations, but Mike Clelland's illustations are what make this book. Also, the sequence of topics is very good.

I think the scenarios an analysis of the other book are very good. The two cover the same ground, but they're nice compliments to one another.

A hearty second on Toast's recommendation for the Fasulo book. I found it slightly difficult to pair up the text with the illustrations at first, too (sitting in my La-Z-Boy after midnight with a glass of fine Cab). But after "taking it to the streets" so to speak, I found that the descriptions and illustrations make for stellar reference material.

Moral: Read and practice completely sober (unless you're not going to climb that way). :rolleyes: