Poison oak

letsroll

There is a fair amount of it at Broughton's Bluff. Was wondering what the best way to get rid of, or manage it. Would simple pruning of the plant at the base of it kill it? Or do I need to spay it with some kind of weed killer? Also I don't want to get any on me while I do this. I like going there and would like to help keep it a great place to climb.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crossbow. Other products are out there. But when I was landscaping years ago, this was the only thing that really worked. You can get it at any lawn and garden store. It will kill poison oak, blackberries and many other woody plants very effectively. It kills broadleaf weeds too. However it's made to not kill grass. Go figure.

I'm sure many here will debate even the notion of using this. But that's your answer.

If you need to be in it:

Teknu(sp?) is a great product. I am very sensitive and use the pre-exposure lotion and the post exposure lotion afterwards. Also they make Calagel which is an anti-itch cream that works well (calamine lotion works too and is cheaper I think).

Crossbow is great stuff. There is also Garlon and Velpar(these three are a common mix for aerial herbicide applications in forestry.

Diesel fuel also works really well when you mix it 1:2 with crossbow....

Although it will kill everything. And not to mention the ecological impact... But it seems to be just fine for all the "rural" people out in Boring/Damascus/Estacada and other rural neighborhoods...

I also hear fire works well too?

On second thought, fire might be the answer around anything related to Rocky Butte,and never mind the ecological aspect...

Edited by Frikadeller

Diesel fuel also works really well when you mix it 1:2 with crossbow....

Although it will kill everything. And not to mention the ecological impact... But it seems to be just fine for all the "rural" people out in Boring/Damascus/Estacada and other rural neighborhoods...

I also hear fire works well too?

On second thought, fire might be the answer around anything related to Rocky Butte,and never mind the ecological aspect...

i've heard breathing or being exposed to burning poison oak can do crazy bad things to you - maybe not such a good idea?

NecNu as suggested works well. You really need to focus more on your clothing and not touching your face eve to wipe sweat. Poison Oak and Poison Ivy (although Poison Ivy is East Coast) have little tiny pustules (think of micro paintballs) that coat the leaves. When it touches something the little balls attach to the skin, clothing whatever. Usually, and I stress usually, if you do not touch the balls on your body or clothing, you can wipe it off your skin in cold water before they break open. Make sure to wear long pants and long shirt, gloves. Also, be careful when undressing. The palms of your hands and fingers cannot get poison oak as the pores and skin are too small, but you can get it on the back of your hands. Also, immediately dump the clothes in the washer without any other clothes. I've washed my clothes after being in Poison oak and just carrying the clothes with exposed arms to the dryer was enough to get it on the inside of my arms. YechNu is awesome and works well. It is an oil based soap and gets off the stuff that soap and water would not. Take a shower with this stuff as soon as you strip down. Whatever you do don't burn it. People usually have to be admitted to the hospital when inhaling oak or ivy fumes as the swelling will cause their throats to close up. If you do get it, try and dry it out or if it gets really bad go get on a run of steroids fom the doc. My rule is I can handle it for the week or so it is on my body unless it hits the nether regions and then I don't mess around and go get steroids.

"Tecnu" is the only product that I have found or trusted to remove the oils from your body. Removing the Oil is the most important thing to do. Otherwise, it will continue to spread. If I think I may have even come close to the stuff I follow every direction on the package for 3 days then if the rash appears, every day on infected area. At the doctors, if really bad. Request the steroid shot. This gets rid of it almost instantly. I haven't need to do that since using Tecnu. Except for the time it rubbed into my eye and began shutting my eye almost instantly. Don't rub face!!

Also, wash clothes, dog, bed sheets, etc.

Cross bow works. However, will need repeated aplication, follow directions precisly. Early morning is best on sunny days, not warmer than 65 degrees.

I had sprayed the oak on the pathways of broughton about 4 or 5 yrs ago and the parks did it about 2yrs ago. Posion oak is relentless and will always come back somewhere.

I like the sign they put up at broughton showing you a green spot that is supposed to be a pic of the oak. good try!

Top of North Face is covered for the Gadolf top out.

I will also be spraying again this year, but the everything helps.

Stewart

yeah garlon and oil. True about the licence, but don't know anyone who would give you a ticket for getting rid of oak. Most people would thank you as long as you are applying correctly and with caution for others. Don't overspray on a busy day where other climbers will be walking through.

Stewart

yeah garlon and oil. True about the licence, but don't know anyone who would give you a ticket for getting rid of oak. Most people would thank you as long as you are applying correctly and with caution for others. Don't overspray on a busy day where other climbers will be walking through.

Stewart

Nick Dodge would have caught hell from some ranger for spraying the stuff at Horsethief a few years ago. One of the lil gullys was choked with it.

Good advise above, Round up will work fine and kills it dead but as noted will do everything it touches. Don't cut at the base as it will bush up and branch out and be even worse. You can also pull it, not everyone is allergic to it. I didn't use to be, but it developed @ 25 years old when I was in it deep on a hot day. I don't think Jim O is allergic for instance. Have him pull it?

Then spray? :grin:

After keeping an eye out for it over the last couple weeks at Broughton, I have to agree - the stuff is running rampant out there.

It would be great if someone who's immune to it (definitely not me) wants to go pull some of the stuff that's right by the trails - but I'll also bug the access fund to see if they can get the Parks service to do something about it - maybe @ the adopt-a-crag in June.

• 4 weeks later...

Went out to Broughton last week and my friend Ryan couldn't take the poison oak leaning over the trail at eye level anymore.

He put on rubber gloves and pulled a good amount of it off the main trail that heads to the Red Wall. There is still quite a bit on the upward side of the trail but out of reach for now and on the steep trail that heads to the NorthFace.

Stewart

Went out to Broughton last week and my friend Ryan couldn't take the poison oak leaning over the trail at eye level anymore.

He put on rubber gloves and pulled a good amount of it off the main trail that heads to the Red Wall. There is still quite a bit on the upward side of the trail but out of reach for now and on the steep trail that heads to the NorthFace.

Stewart

I get itchy just thinking about it. I wouldn't do that unless I were wearing a moon suit. Edited by catbirdseat