[TR] Colchuck Peak - All To Ourvselves 5/6/2007

AlpineMonkey

Trip: Colchuck Peak - All To Ourvselves

Date: 5/6/2007

Trip Report:

These days I find myself spending lots of time with my new “main” climbing partner. As I reflect on the past few years, I am finding that my interests and views are changing. I find myself now looking for quality.

TR STARTS HERE:

(N. Face Dragontail looks super good right now)

This was a trip of changing minds. With our hearts set on the NE Couloir of Dragontail, after seeing that awesome TR posted last week, Denise and I set out on bikes up the Colchuck lake road at 3:30 in the morning. We ended up pushing them most of the way. The mudslide hasn’t even been scratched and the road definitely will not be open on schedule.

We topped out at the lake at first light, and decided on climbing the NE Couloir on Colchuck Peak instead, a route I haven’t done before. However, ended up doing the NBC route due to a large cornice on the top.

We found perfect conditions and both had a blast. It seemed so odd to have a normally popular, overcrowded area all to ourselves. Not one other person in the entire basin.

The Route:

DSCN313121.jpg

The lake is still walkable:

DSCN3113.jpg

Self Portrait:

DSCN3118.jpg

We actually found a little ice:

DSCN3124.jpg

Fun climbing, great weather.

DSCN3125.jpg

Summit Shots.

DSCN3128.jpg

A big mean bear.

DSCN3134.jpg

Gear Notes:

nothing

Approach Notes:

Bikes, road will not be open next week as planned.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi AlpineMonkey,

Nice photos -- nice to have such a place all to yourselves.

Having climbed that route a few times before, I have a hard time imagining where you found climbable ice. Nor do I really see ice, as such, in the photo...can you elaborate?

I was curious what you meant in the pre-amble to your TR where you said that "I find myself now looking for quality." What were you looking for before?

I ask, respectfully, because these days I care much more about who I climb with than about WHAT I climb. I am curious what lead you to this new way of looking at things...

Enjoyed the beautiful weather on Saturday.

I have also done the route several times before and found it hard to believe there was real ice. There was about 15 feet or so of good, solid alpine like ice just below the picture where the couloir bottle necked down. It was an unexpected, fun suprise.

I'm finding myself less ambitious and more caring toward other things in life. Spending time with people who I care about and enjoy being around, climbing for the enjoyment of climbing, rather then for other reasons.

I'm finding myself less ambitious and more caring toward other things in life. Spending time with people who I care about and enjoy being around, climbing for the enjoyment of climbing, rather then for other reasons.

Denise 1. Craig 0.

:laf:

Edited by kevino

Nice job Craig. I was up yesterday and today, looks like we just missed eachother. By this afternoon they had the trees on the road cleared and were agressively working on the mudslide area. Sould be up on time.

Kevino, we need to drink beer soon!!