Damn Freaking Best Picture EVER

i_like_sun

n552652096_53083_8851.jpg

I know its the highly overused and abused Everest, but shit, why WOULDN'T you want to go here????

There is just something crazy and powerful about this place......... I personally can fully understand why so many have risked everything on this mountain. Not saying I'm will to die for ANY mountain, but I can understand the sickness...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Topping out on a peak that's 19,000' and turning around to see another peak looming 10,000' higher is pretty intense.

Yeah, I want to go to the Everest region just to see what you desrcibed! I (most people) simply don't have an sort of mental schema for those kinds of scales. The biggest thing I've ever seen in person would be Mt. Whitney or Mt. Rainier......

I'm not sure I'd actually even want to climb Everest (climbing something less popular yes), but just to see it would be amazing.

Not to knock it or anything, but I can think of a couple of other places besides the crowds on the Big-E:

98bp460.jpg

I can't speak from experience but I doubt that K2 basecamp is much cleaner than Everest. At least there has been a dedicated effort from the Nepali government in recent years to clean up the Khumbu valley. When a region depends on tourism to survive it is only a matter of time before the locals figure out that trash hurts their economy.

People bring trash and the only reason we don't deal with trash issues on the local level (on the scale of what you see in the third world) is because we have money and can afford to enforce violations.

Not to knock it or anything, but I can think of a couple of other places besides the crowds on the Big-E:

98bp460.jpg

I can't speak from experience but I doubt that K2 basecamp is much cleaner than Everest. At least there has been a dedicated effort from the Nepali government in recent years to clean up the Khumbu valley. When a region depends on tourism to survive it is only a matter of time before the locals figure out that trash hurts their economy.

People bring trash and the only reason we don't deal with trash issues on the local level (on the scale of what you see in the third world) is because we have money and can afford to enforce violations.

But the Pakistani government provides incentive for cleaning up after yourselves in the form of a $5000 deposit. If you leave your crap up there, you don't get it back :tup: :tup:

But the Pakistani government provides incentive for cleaning up after yourselves in the form of a $5000 deposit. If you leave your crap up there, you don't get it back :tup: :tup:

Garbage deposit for Everest is $4000; $3000 for all other 8000m peaks. Garbage deposit for trekking peaks is $250. And they do check it; although not as closely as one would hope. It's all who your trekking agent is and who takes who out to dinner in Katmandu.

However.. to put it in perspective - the garbage issue is minimal when compared to the issue of over development.

There's also a great program paying Sherpa staffs for bringing down loads of trash from the high camps. I'm told that the famous pictures - like what Dru showed above - don't reflect the current view.

Edit: I just broke my own ban. Goddamnit.

Edited by chris

There's also a great program paying Sherpa staffs for bringing down loads of trash from the high camps. I'm told that the famous pictures - like what Dru showed above - don't reflect the current view.

Edit: I just broke my own ban. Goddamnit.

i don't really want to summit, but i would like to trek around and maybe get involved in helping haul some of the trash off the mountain.