[TR] Mt. Woodson - 4/28/2007

Off_White

Trip: Mt. Woodson -

Date: 4/28/2007

Trip Report:

Last weekend I went to Mt Woodson in San Diego County as part of a climbers reunion that grew organically out of a thread on Supertopo. A great conglomeration of over sixty people showed up from as far as Colorado and (duh) Washington. With an array of friends, acquaintances, and lesser gods of my SoCal youth, this beat the pants off the one High School Reunion I've attended. Some of these people I hadn't seen in over 25 years.

I got down there on Thursday, got picked up at the airport by my buddy Bob, did a little family visiting, and went out to Mission Gorge to poach a couple boulder problems in a closed area. Hey, it didn't use to be closed. The next day we got a tour of a hush hush private bouldering area, some of the finest stone I've ever climbed on in San Diego on a gorgeous high ridge with a decent breeze. Saturday was the big event at Woodson.

Here's an assortment of shots; some are mine, some I shot with other's gear, some are shamelessly pilfered.

Woodson is the furthest peak with the telecom junk on top. As you can see, there are a few boulders in the area. IMG_6513.JPG

An adjacent hillside: new routes waiting to be plucked by those willing to bushwhack. IMG_6542.JPG

Unlike many bouldering areas, Woodson features an amazing array of splitter cracks. Between bad landings and highball problems, top ropes are pretty common. This fine example is Robbins Crack. At 5.10a, it's a very accessible and usually climbed ropeless. Bear in mind that this is also the descent route. royatbaseofrobbins.jpg

Anyway, on with the shindig. A large clot of us gathered at the bottom of the hill around 10am on Saturday. It was already getting warm, probably hit 85 this day. shindig1.jpg

First route of the day was Razors Edge. At 5.10+ it's a little stiff and steep for a warm up, but hey, it's one of the first great things you come to. woodson-razorsedge.jpg

Bouldering is a social thing, and this crowd was into shutterbugging.

woodson-toaster.jpg

The party moved on to the area around Jaws, a stellar crack that goes from tips to hand, with all the flavors in between. Here's part of the horde seeking shade: PB4-13.jpg

Jaws 5.10d

tarjawsn.jpg

Looking down Jaws

102_0435.jpg

TV Screen Crack 5.10a

offtvscreencrackn.jpg

Baby Robbins 5.9

PB7-8.jpg

Horde at the base of Bat Flake

woodson-baseofbatflake.jpg

Bat Flake 5.10d with wide fist crux at the top

woodson-batflake.jpg

Spectating

woodson-gawping.jpg

I see old people, with souvenir headbands

redbandanasn.jpg

Slogging up the hill

480982295_1c81764e26.jpg

A semaphore beta flagging discussion...

woodson-semaphore.jpg

pays off with success on California Night 5.11c

woodson-californiaknight.jpg

Yeah, there's face climbing too

woodson-windtunnelface.jpg

And cracks so thin you might as well be face climbing.

bvblemonschiffon.jpg

Oh, and wide goodness too

480982739_6bc7fdd71a.jpg

Plenty of wide in fact

480973102_7df3929516_o.jpg

It was a long splendid day, we stayed up there until the shadows got long. gibsonrobbinsn.jpg

Followed up with some of the folks making it to a barbeque buried somewhere in suburban Escondido. barbeque.jpg

As a cherry on top, the flight home went right over Tenino and I could peer out and look at my house and property. All in all, a damn fine four day weekend.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...