[TR] Kaleetan Peak / Chair Peak Circumnavigation - East Face ski Route 4/29/2007

powdrx

Trip: Kaleetan Peak / Chair Peak Circumnavigation - East Face ski Route

Date: 4/29/2007

Trip Report:

Four of us set out Sunday morning for a summit of Kaleetan via Bryant col with the plans of finishing the route via Melakwa Pass and completing the Chair Peak circumnavigation. The two plankers cruised pretty well to below the steep snow below Bryant col. Snowshoer packing a board was a little slower in the slushy snow. The K9 was doing OK up to this point. Skiing down to Melakwa Lakes was nice of crusty snow, and we quickly moved up the valley to below the East Face of Kaleetan. Near the top of the "steep gully", the K9 began struggling and the thin traverse out of the gulley was sketchy. I took my dog down at this point while Mark and Nathaniel continued onto the summit via the remaining South Ridge route. There was slide debris EVERYWHERE from Saturday, but conditions were pretty stable on Sunday. Me and the dog lounged at Melakwa Pass until I watched the summit-possee come over and ride the East Face. Looked pretty sweet, but apparently a little icy. Skiing down to Snow Lake was fun in thick snow, but it is skiing!! Made it back down to the car in time for beers!! Good day out and the K9 slept all day Monday!!

Gear Notes:

AT gear x2, Shoes and board x1, standard BC gear.

Approach Notes:

Decent skin track most of the way were it wasn't washed out by slide debris. Some boot kicking near the top of the steep gully on Kaleetan.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome trip bro!! Thought I would post a couple of the pics from the day! You skiers think you are soooo cool with your skins and whatnot. Scored one for the all the boarders out there by kickin steps all the way up Kaleetan!! Snowshoes sucked on that traverse.

62.jpg

Summit Shotzz

421.jpg

411.jpg

30.jpg

Snow Lake Still Frozen

848429799405_0_BG.jpg

Just before the final descent to the car

47.jpg