Climbing Getting Popular

Chaps

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is it bad that i think it's funny that people who climb exclusively in the gym call them selves climbers?

Try having a climbing gym at your school - everyone who gets on a couple holds says the sport is easy. Or when you mention to someone at a party that you climb and they talk about how they've climbed in a gym.

I used to care - but to each their own. Plus, I run too much to be considered a true climber, so who am I to judge anyone?

i don't know that i judge so much as i find it amusing. and i certinly don't argue with them.

in my never to be humble oppinion if you are not outside then it's not really climbing, you are working out. not a bad thing to do to pass the time and it certinly takes skill and streangth, but you don't take your life in your own hands on any level and that is my definintion of "climber"

Holy Jeeze, this scinario drives me insane!

I go to parties and people ask "what do you like to do" and I'm like, "um, uh, I like to climb". Then they say "COOOOOL, I love watching you guys on the wall at school!" Then I'm like, "yeah, I pretty much hate that fuckin' thing.....outdoor is better". Then they say "whats outdoor climbing?"

Then I want to kill myself..

What is everyone's beef with gyms? I consistently hear people bitching about them, but I don't get it. It gives people who want to try the sport out a relatively safe place to try and classes to learn some of the basic skills. The people who want to claim they climb stay in there (every sport has lots o people like these, get used to it) and leave the rocks for the rest of us. It's also a fun place to hang out with like-minded folks during the "off" months (Sept-May) in the NW and even sometimes find partners. I've been teaching in gyms for while and think it's fantastic that we can weed people out so easily with such a low nOOb:death rate. I've taught everyone from the apprehensive gf/bf following their partner to the most enthusiastic new climber all on their own in a class. Climbing is cool because you only get out of it what you put into it. Those that want to climb find a way to make it happen and gyms can help them get going. Maybe I'm wierd, but I've only had positive experiences in the gym. Remember we were all dorks at some point wondering how they got those ropes up there and what the clippy things are for...

your kinda right but, what about the people that climb "hard " in the gym and them asume they can go climb a 5.12 multi pitch outside. gyms are good for beginers but people need to be humbled at the same time, for the most part the gym climbers (ones that climb mostly or only in the gym and or only boulder for that matter)i've seen are pretty cocky number pushers that just don't "get it"

What is everyone's beef with gyms? I consistently hear people bitching about them, but I don't get it. It gives people who want to try the sport out a relatively safe place to try and classes to learn some of the basic skills. The people who want to claim they climb stay in there (every sport has lots o people like these, get used to it) and leave the rocks for the rest of us. It's also a fun place to hang out with like-minded folks during the "off" months (Sept-May) in the NW and even sometimes find partners. I've been teaching in gyms for while and think it's fantastic that we can weed people out so easily with such a low nOOb:death rate. I've taught everyone from the apprehensive gf/bf following their partner to the most enthusiastic new climber all on their own in a class. Climbing is cool because you only get out of it what you put into it. Those that want to climb find a way to make it happen and gyms can help them get going. Maybe I'm wierd, but I've only had positive experiences in the gym. Remember we were all dorks at some point wondering how they got those ropes up there and what the clippy things are for...

I hate the gym. i don't have fun there. I don't enjoy the scene there. the majority of people who climb there are significantly younger than i am and seem to be pushing the numbers or chilling on the mats talking about mid terms. i go there only out of sheer desperation to get off the ground. it is to me a different kind of sport. it isn't dangerous and it gives people a false sense of security to think that they "know" how to climb but know NOTHING about building an anchor, how to read a topo, how to judge a pitch length, how to place gear, what gear is, what kind of energy it takes to hike 2 miles (or whatever) in to a dificult climb and then climb it. I could go on and on but i hope you are catching my drift here. I thik more people get hurt because they are unprepared and ill equiped by thier gym training to climb safely outside.

that being said, if i am to climb with a noob i often send them to the gym to learn to belay. but thats it. it is a great place to learn to climb PLASTIC and to learn to belay on top rope. I know you can "lead sport" in the gym but again, the climbs are not long enough to give any real idea of what climbig outside is like. there is so much more to climbing than just going up.

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

it gives people a false sense of security to think that they "know" how to climb but know NOTHING about building an anchor, how to read a topo, how to judge a pitch length, how to place gear, what gear is, what kind of energy it takes to hike 2 miles (or whatever) in to a dificult climb and then climb it.

This self parody comes complete with batteries...no assembly required.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I think it's mostly the people who work there. They suck.

In Boise, the local Gym owner (Boise Peak Fitness) has made a good faith effort to introduce gym climbers to the outdoors, sponsoring excellent seminars on how to lead, rope management on multi-pitch climbs, proper descent technique from chains, etc. The problem is, he can't get more than a handfull of gym climbers interested. So we still see horrendously unsafe practices out at the local crags. In Spokane, the Spokane Mountaineers have an excellent climbing school that has a long history of introducing thousands to the sport, even though I suspect only about one in three or four graduates keep climbing as a lifetime activity. I did. Too bad there isn't something similar down here.

I have fun at the climbing gym. It is the best way to keep my flabby 50yo body from completely falling to pieces. It also is a great place to meet new friends and plan new adventures. Let's not dis gyms just because one finds oneself farther along the continuum ranging from hiking ------>rappelling ---->gyms ---->general sport climbing ----> rupal face solo in winter. It's all fun.

Climbing is all about the hotties, and the density of the hotties iz reaching its maximum at the gym. Almost goes thermonuculear sometimes. It gives the ladies a chance to wear that prana top in the winter, and the guys to go shirtless. If you want to go climbing outside, you have to wait till summer, when my main bros at stoney g's let you climb on the outside. rad. The other cool thing about the gym is itz literally right across the street from the bar. slooper-sized it. that way if teh hotties aren't into your shirtless man rug, maybe they'll be impressed by your drinky bird.

it gives people a false sense of security to think that they "know" how to climb but know NOTHING about building an anchor, how to read a topo, how to judge a pitch length, how to place gear, what gear is, what kind of energy it takes to hike 2 miles (or whatever) in to a dificult climb and then climb it.

This self parody comes complete with batteries...no assembly required.

you know Givlers dome isn't a really hard climb for most people. it's an easy walk up. however after humping my 20lb pack 2 miles, i was glad i had plenty of water and a little snacky before i headed up. I have been up there 2 times. the first time we got totaly lost ( I claim innocnesce as i know i am directionaly challenged) and were unable to climb. The second time i went with someone who had been there before and it was a great day. I think, hunny, that in trying to piss me off you are just not making sense.

I don't claim to climb hard. i never have and i never will, but i am aware of many aspects of climbing. My view and my experiences are not narrow.

yours however, are.

I think you suck.

My response to people who say that gyms leave "climbers" (indoor or other types) unprepared for the outdoors, is that (I can only speak for myself here) classes are alway prefaced with an emphasis that what will be taught that night is exclusive to that gym. I mention that other gyms have different poicies and that the out-of-doors is an entirely different arena because it is impossible to teach (in the gym) rock quality, bolt quality, bolt intervals, route-finding, anchor-building and all the difficulties assiciated therein.

It is then in my mind that all the new folks fucking up out there (in assumption that they learned in a gym and run outside thinking it's the same) are doing it after being warned that it is different. I'm sure there are some instructors at some gyms who don't go over why learning in a gym doesn't prepare someone for climbing outdoors, but they're douches.

Sorry, I take this part very personally because I take a lot of pride in the classes I teach. One of them is a long class (16 sessions) during which the students learn technique, indoor leading and get an intro to what makes a good anchor so they understand why a sport anchor is safe and an intro to rapelling. I recently ran into a former student of mine from this class climbing with another friend outside and the friend said the student was one of the most prepared folks to come out of a gym; she was asking interesting questions that were relevant to switching from the gym setting to the outdoor world like "this hanger is spinning, is that still safe?" and "Is this hold in?". It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I helped set this student up to do everything she could in a gym and then be a good partner for someone more experienced to climb outdoors with.

holy shit that was longer than i meant it to be, and i haven't even had my coffee yet.

I think you suck.

My response to people who say that gyms leave "climbers" (indoor or other types) unprepared for the outdoors, is that (I can only speak for myself here) classes are alway prefaced with an emphasis that what will be taught that night is exclusive to that gym. I mention that other gyms have different poicies and that the out-of-doors is an entirely different arena because it is impossible to teach (in the gym) rock quality, bolt quality, bolt intervals, route-finding, anchor-building and all the difficulties assiciated therein.

It is then in my mind that all the new folks fucking up out there (in assumption that they learned in a gym and run outside thinking it's the same) are doing it after being warned that it is different. I'm sure there are some instructors at some gyms who don't go over why learning in a gym doesn't prepare someone for climbing outdoors, but they're douches.

Sorry, I take this part very personally because I take a lot of pride in the classes I teach. One of them is a long class (16 sessions) during which the students learn technique, indoor leading and get an intro to what makes a good anchor so they understand why a sport anchor is safe and an intro to rapelling. I recently ran into a former student of mine from this class climbing with another friend outside and the friend said the student was one of the most prepared folks to come out of a gym; she was asking interesting questions that were relevant to switching from the gym setting to the outdoor world like "this hanger is spinning, is that still safe?" and "Is this hold in?". It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I helped set this student up to do everything she could in a gym and then be a good partner for someone more experienced to climb outdoors with.

holy shit that was longer than i meant it to be, and i haven't even had my coffee yet.

Don't even pretend.

You know I suck.

Gyms also have excellent climbing programs for kids, something that didn't exist in the pre-gym era.

many schools also offer climbing walls in their Gyms as an activity both after school and durring gym class. I have taught one such program several years ago. it was fun for the kids and i had a great time. HOWEVER, i am chosing to teach my children to climb myself. they have participated in the gym's climbing for kids program as my ex husband taught there for 3 years. and they did learn to get of the ground. both my boys parents climb and they have good grasp on the safty issues at hand. they did not learn that at the gym, the learned that from thier parents. kids are great climbers. they are monkeys and fearless and really fun to watch and learn from. they pull of more crazy things than any adult would becuase they are not affraid to try.

climbing plastic is one thing.

climbing outside is something else.

what i mean by this is that climbing outside involves learning things you can not learn in the gym.

OK I'll just say, I don't [really hate} gym climbing, its basically as muffy says, "I don't have fun there". Sometimes I enjoy it, but mostly for the movements of climbing. Like just getting my harness on and practicing rope work. Or saying "srcrew you stupid tape lines, I'm climbing whatever route I want!" That little numbers game drives me insane...

Overall, I am usually only in the gym to get a good workout in (my gym is huge and has a good indoor wall with massive amounts of exercise equipment). Frankly I prefer to lift weights or run or swim to get exercise. Boldering is fun, its just easy for me to get burnt out on it.

I don't have anything against people who do it every day for hours on end. Quite the contrary, they are probably better climbers than I am. I will say however, that the majority of the people [i know] who spend all the hours on the wall, usually have never climbed anything "real". Someone on here said, "they need to be humbled". Perhaps if I would enjoy gym climbing more if I had never climbed outdoors.

Muffy's quote: "what i mean by this is that climbing outside involves learning things you can not learn in the gym."

There.

I think you suck.

it sounds like you teach a very thorough class to those who can aford it and want to take the class.

bottom line is none of us can stop people from climbing who are illprepared. all we can try to do is help them out as much as we can when we come across them.

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

is it bad that i think it's funny that people who climb exclusively in the gym call them selves climbers?

i don't know that i judge so much as i find it amusing. and i certinly don't argue with them.

in my never to be humble oppinion if you are not outside then it's not really climbing....but you don't take your life in your own hands on any level and that is my definintion of "climber"

My view and my experiences are not narrow. yours however, are.

Anyone have that Mufflish > English dictionary handy?

...it gives people a false sense of security to think that they "know" how to climb but know NOTHING about building an anchor, how to read a topo, how to judge a pitch length, how to place gear, what gear is, what kind of energy it takes to hike 2 miles (or whatever) in to a dificult climb and then climb it.

you know Givlers dome isn't a really hard climb for most people. it's an easy walk up. however after humping my 20lb pack 2 miles, i was glad i had plenty of water and a little snacky before i headed up. I have been up there 2 times. the first time we got totaly lost ( I claim innocnesce as i know i am directionaly challenged) and were unable to climb.

I don't claim to climb hard. i never have and i never will, but i am aware of many aspects of climbing.

Uhm, the approach to Givler's is less than 1/2 a mile.

One aspect of climbing you may not be aware of is that, if you're going to be a wind bag, it pays to know what you're talking about. For example, if you're going to pontificate about how 'gym climbers' can't find their way out of a paper bag or how little they know about climbing, it might help to be able to navigate a few hundred yards to a 5.7 (dificult) climb that is fully visible from the road. Just a suggestion...hunny.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

in my never to be humble oppinion if you are not outside then it's not really climbing....but you don't take your life in your own hands on any level and that is my definintion of "climber"

My view and my experiences are not narrow. yours however, are.

Anyone have that Mufflish > English dictionary handy?

you know Givlers dome isn't a really hard climb for most people. it's an easy walk up. however after humping my 20lb pack 2 miles, i was glad i had plenty of water and a little snacky before i headed up. I have been up there 2 times. the first time we got totaly lost ( I claim innocnesce as i know i am directionaly challenged) and were unable to climb.

...it gives people a false sense of security to think that they "know" how to climb but know NOTHING about building an anchor, how to read a topo, how to judge a pitch length, how to place gear, what gear is, what kind of energy it takes to hike 2 miles (or whatever) in to a dificult climb and then climb it.

I don't claim to climb hard. i never have and i never will, but i am aware of many aspects of climbing.

Uhm, the approach to Givler's is less than 1/2 a mile.

One aspect of climbing you may not be aware of is that, if you're going to be a wind bag, it pays to know what you're talking about. For example, if you're going to pontificate about how 'gym climbers' can't find their way out of a paper bag or how little they know about climbing, it might help to be able to navigate a few hundred yards to a 5.7 (dificult) climb that is fully visible from the road. Just a suggestion...hunny.

;) i never said I could navigate any thing :grin: i never claimed to be an expert on anything, except my oppinion.

dear god is it realy only 1/2 a mile. I was sure someone told me it was 2 miles. but i don't own a washington guide book. it is certinly farther than from my car to the plastic.

oh look you called my hunny :blush: you must be starting to like me ;)