Exercise science degree? Cent. Wash. University?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the time, I suggest shadowing professionals in these fields. This way you can gather a greater understanding of what that position would be like and if you would actually be passionate about doing it. I chose to pursue the DPT and, in doing so, have found that there is a large variety of options ("scope") offered. Any of these careers consume both an enormous amount of time (preparing as well as once in school) and money, so just make sure you love it.

Yeah that guys sounds like a freak. Plent of MD's do just as outragous shit, you just don't badmouth the entire profession-just that person. As for difficulty: it's a small town with several schools of medicine. The OHSU folks seem to think the 1st 4 years aren't as bad as ours. That said, their residency sounds like a bitch. There are stupid people who sneak through in any school. But yeah, I don't know anyone (although there are a few) who's done both.

I did meet one Chiropractor who basically considered himself a physical therapist/sports med. doc. He did everything PT's do with the exception of utra-sound (I think in WA DC's can't do ultra-sound) and also prescribed nutrition counseling.

He was super stoked on soft tissue healing - basically, after talking to him I was convinced that he knew a lot more about the body as a whole than most PTs. For example, he understood how the endocrine system plays totally massive roals in the healing process (like, why eating a good diet while healing a major injury can speed up recovery simply due to higher testosterone and IGF-1 levels - OMG I love this shit).

So yeah, as you said I think you can probably do almost anything you want. It just sucks that there are so many flakey bastards lined up on Aurora begging you for back-cracking sessions at $100 a pop. I am sure there are fantastic practitioners however that really do offer valuable and worth while treatment and counsel.

Here's the deal with Chiropractic. The education is moderately difficult, but is time consuming. The challenge lies in when you get out...starting a practice is difficult, working for another DC more often than not doesn't work out, or pursue other options (education, research, multidisciplinary practice, etc.) that are less common. That being said, once you have some time under your belt it is outstanding (both schedule and income wise) and opprotunities are only improving. PM me if you want more info.

FYI

"Don't get me wrong on the PTs. They know their shit too. I think the two professions should merge, be accredited by the AMA and be doctors of manual medicine." -Layton

aint gonna happen. Bad news...too many years of political infighting. Good news...politically we have more pull.

Layton, I think we talked on the phone a couple weeks ago. PM me.

i know 3 people who went through WWU's pre-physical therapy program with decent grades (lots of a's, two or 3 b's and a single c or 2) and NONE were accepted into grad school, be warned. its kinda a crap shoot. lots of undergrad volunteer hours too... the 4 year doctorate seems a bit unreasonable.

Layton - Spineguy....want to run a theory by you. I've seen ~ 5 different chiros and 5 different PTs. The pet peeve I have with Chiros is that the ones that have spend a good amount of time with me, re-evaluating me on follow up visits - lets say 20 - 30 minutes per visit have been the noobs....just starting a practice, or an associate in an older doctor's practice. Lot's of energy and interest and a more open calendar, but limited experience.

On the other end of the spectrum, the guys with lots of years under their belt run an assembly line operation where they pick up my chart so they know my name, spend ~ 5 minutes on adjustments and then move to the next exam room down the hall.

It feels like they have to have a large volume of patients to really do well, due to the low per-modality reimbursement of the HMOs. I'm about to leave my current Chiro for this reason - he hasn't spent more than 8 minutes with me in any given visit in the last 12 months.

My theory is that the assembly line shops serve to drive down the per-modality reimbursement industry wide, and even the good chiros can't afford to spend that much time with any 1 given patient.

Thoughts?