[TR] Middle Sister - Hayden Glacier 4/29/2007

gapertimmy

Trip: Middle Sister - Hayden Glacier

Date: 4/29/2007

Trip Report:

Perhaps this belongs in the freshiezone, but I figured some Oregon folks would be keen on seeing some photos from Central Oregon

-----------------------

High Pressure + Tired of normal ski spots = time to skin into Middle Sister.

The plan was hatched late Friday to get after the elusive sickter turns of the SE Ridge of Middle Sister. Early recon from other internets climbers had shown that the road to Pole Creek TH was snow free, so it was on!

The trail was pretty much snow free until about a mile before soap creek. We got a bit too stoked and put the skins on a bit early. This resulted in some serious '4th Class dirt/tree skinning'. Good times:

478538722_b5097dcca1.jpg

From the creek crossing we had a warm quick skin into camp on a nice dry patch of cinders with killer views:

478538836_840c58a124.jpg

brokentop from camp

After some lounging and chubbing I decided to go do a quick corn mission up the glacier. The snow was pretty dang poopy at this point, but I was still stoked to be up in the Sisters, with complete solitude and great views.

478539058_bb7b9a2e47.jpg

Sunset over Middle

Due to the forecast and hot weather on Saturday, we decided to get the uber early alpine start to get the goods on the SE ridge. We went to sleep with visions of huge corn turns in our heads.

478539096_e3f02eb4e1.jpg

Last Light on South Sister from camp

Much to our dismay, we were greeted with the GRAY BURD Sunday am. The snow was super-bullet proof firm so we decided to sleep a bit more. Hours passed, the winds weren't dieing down, but we still decided to go check things out.

478539230_b3d6a2bb6c.jpg

The skies cleared, and the snow magically softened up, but winds and time kept us away from the SE ridge. Nevertheless, we still had a pimpin good time schralping the hayden.

478557897_6d49c36646.jpg

jlag all smiles after some turns

We vowed to get back up there within a few weeks to revisit the SE ridge, but were stoked with the plab times this weekend up in the Sisters.

478557937_3618594e25.jpg

My Skis- Spring Style

Approach Notes:

Trail is mostly snow free until Soap Creek. Skinning thereafter.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic