Snakes afoot in Leavenworth

Sherri

A little rattler was intent on getting up close and friendly with my toes while I belaying at Clamshell Cave this weekend. I caught his movement out of the corner of my eye, thankfully, but not before he was too darn close for comfort(about 18" away).

And he didn't give up the chase even after I took a couple big, s-l-o-w steps out of his path. :eek: Finally distracted his fatal attraction to my feet by flicking the rope at him a couple times.

Watch for them. They're baaaaack.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We ran into a huge guy laying on the trail to the Pearly Gates about this time last year. Looked like he'd just eaten a small dog or something too :)

I usually run into them mostly around Tieton it seems. It almost seems like you could bring two 5 gallon buckets to stand in while belaying sometimes :)

Yes, that's a good point...but when you've climbed there for a couple of years without seeing one, it's easy to become complacent about the likelihood of encountering one.

Honestly, I was watching more closely for ticks that day. Last thing I was expecting was to be chased by a rattler instead. That'll teach me.

Edited by Sherri

You know every1 makes such a big deal about ticks all the time. Whats the big deal. There are insects everywhere and they are always buzzing about. What about black flies that take a big mfing bite outta u. Now that hurts. Ticks dont hurt they are just a minor annoyance. Plus the fun of tick checks wit your female partner{s} after.

You know every1 makes such a big deal about ticks all the time. Whats the big deal. There are insects everywhere and they are always buzzing about. What about black flies that take a big mfing bite outta u. Now that hurts. Ticks dont hurt they are just a minor annoyance. Plus the fun of tick checks wit your female partner{s} after.

My mom's health has been completely debilitated by Lyme's Disease, from a tick bite about 8 years ago...guess she missed out on the fun part.

Good point, Sherri. But the cases of Lyme's Disease in Washington are super-rare.

I am sorry to hear about that, I can't imagine how much that would suck. :tdown:

Thanks, MisterE. Good to know that it's not as prevalent 'round these parts. I'm probably just extra wary of the possibility, seeing how profoundly it change a person's life. Hard to believe that a tiny little bug can do so much damage.