Dana Designs Ice Factor Pack

wdietsch

Does anyone have feedback on these packs. I have been on a 7-8 month misson to find a replacment for my old CCW Chernobyl. I have looked at just about everything out there. The one thing about these that I see as a potential weakness is the durability of the external framesheet/bivy pad. It's seems like a good idea for a sitting belay but I think it would get trashed when the pack gets tossed around not to mention hauling. It is removable.Otherwise the general spec's such as weight and capacity look pretty average and Northern Mountain Supply is currently selling them for $139 which is $100 off standard retail.I've never owned a Dana Design and don't know anyone that does. Looking at the construction everything looks to be "up to snuff". but I would like to hear from some owners how they have faired over time.

Wes

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can't speak to this particular model pack, but I do own three Dana packs (all made before he sold the company to K2). The terraplane is the best pack I've ever seen for general backpacking/load carrying. I carried it for 400 miles in '97, then 1000 miles on the AT in '98 before switching to a small daypack. I used it while working hoods-in-the-woods for as year and have carried it on plenty of climbing trips. Just plain bomber...it doesn't even look too bad yet and I regularly throw it around, sit on it in the dirt, etc. They made (don't know if they still do) "overkill" versions of some models that used the heavy-duty cordura that covers the bottom on the whole pack.

So I'm curious, why not replace the CCW with another CCW? Any drawbacks to speak of?

I've had 2 Dana packs- The Big Horn for 3 years as a overnight/crag pack and a Hyalite for 10 years or so. I've beat the shit out of both of them and the packs have held up well- just had to replace small things like buckles etc.

They tend to be a little on the heavy side, but rugged as hell. Don't knowif that has changed since K2 bought them.

Bronco - That is a great deal on the Snow Pack, however I am looking for something a little larger.

Stone Cold Willy - My CCW Chernobyl has served me well. The construction is bomber, no doubt about it. The one I have, I purchased probably close to 10 years ago when they first came out. Originally they did not have tool tubes and compression was done by a single strap on each side sewn to the bottm, threaded thru a sewn-in "D" ring about halfway up the side of the pack and then connected with a fastex buckle toward the top making a "V" shape. Nice idea but it really doesn't work very well. Things in the pack tend to shift to the bottom of the sack. The suspension works well for the loads it was designed for, however overloaded it sucks (duh)especailly skiing. The original one have "tabs" for adding gear loops to the waist belt like the BD Alpine Bod, but over time they started to fray from the friction. I love the long bivy skirt, it may be a little long for some but having used it from the French Alps to the Goats Rocks and many places in between, it works for me.The new ones do use higher density foam in the shoulder staps, and the tubes along with better compression straps are worthwhile improvments. I am wanting something that is more comfortable particullay for the summer months when your not wearing all the clothing and a "tad" larger (52-55L) for 5-6 days or at least capable of handling an oversize load better. I will continue to use my CCW Chernobyl for 2-3 day winter ascents such as the Elliot Headwall and fast, light summer climbs. I have considered the CCW Chaos however for that money I would go with the Climb High Jackpot and save 1/2 a pound. I'd love to have an Andinista but that's just to many "clams" and I am cheap. The way things are shaping up my leading choices are the Mountain Tools Ice Bash (Tall) and the Granite Gear Alpine Light (on sale now at Snow Leopard Mountain Sports for $127). Both are under 3.2 lbs and have a standard rated volume between 52-58+ liters. Of the two, the Ice Bash has the more substantial suspension.I realize I am being pretty picky. I have looked at 23 different manufatures both domestic and European from Arc'teryx to Wildman. If anyone wants it I have accumulated a spreadsheet anaylizing 75+ packs from the 23 mfg's primarily for volumes and weights along with retail pricing. These packs all range in volume from 40 to 60 liters only, no trail pigs.

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: wdietsch ]