sleeping bags

sklag

Bivis rock, until it gets miserable. Ever spend a few days hiding out the weather in one? Or try to get dressed in one?

I agree the weight of new tents nowadays can match that of two bivis and provide a enclosed space. If it suits your needs and requirements for your trip go with what you like.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dig that idea-very clever!! did you ever think to contact seattle fabrics or any other fabric shop about water resistant zippers, so you could zip 3/4 of the tarp up with that then leave the head open like a wierd tube tent thing?

I think WM makes the best down bags, and a 15 deg. bag would be pretty versatile. I'm a big chicken, but I generally do not use a down bag in the Cascades. I've been in a 7 day storm where everything starts to get wet, and I never had to stress about my bag, whereas my partner did, as his down bag started to get lumpy and cold. Also, a synthetic bag may be a little more versatile than a down bag in a rescue situation (God forbid). In other places, like the Tetons or the Wind Rivers, I use down.

You need to pay more attention to weather forecasts, amigo.

thankfully they have developed the bugmesh hat and heavier full function bivi bags that weigh over 2 1/2 pounds...

That's kind of my point about bivvy bags. Assuming a party of two, you can bring two full function bivvy bags, at 5 pounds, or go light and maybe they'll total 2 1/2 pounds, but a tent for two weighs as little as 3 pounds and is generally preferable.

Or find a bivy bag that weighs less. Mine is a Marmot with coated nylon on the bottom and gor-something on the top.

Weight 1 1/4 lbs. Coarse, it won't make your coffee or keep the bugs out. Just a human-storage ziplock bag.

I really dig that idea-very clever!! did you ever think to contact seattle fabrics or any other fabric shop about water resistant zippers, so you could zip 3/4 of the tarp up with that then leave the head open like a wierd tube tent thing?

Adding waterproof zippers is a wicked idea, yet I have been on this kick and process to reduce as much wieght and bulk as I may to my kit and yet maintain as much multi-purpose kit with what reamains. So in this instance, adding two rows of stitching to an already super light weight tarp that will provide many years of repeated use is the best option.