Trigger Extensions on Camming Devices

catbirdseat

There are a few cam designs, such as the DMM, where it is claimed that it can be difficult to clean the cam from deep placements. I'd heard that some people add a small loop of light cord to the trigger bar to facilitate retrieval.

I could see pluses and minuses about this. You'd want to be careful not to make this cord too long, as it could get snagged in a fall and cause the cam to pull out or break the wires.

Some smaller u-stemmed cams like TCUs can be hard to clean if placed too deeply.

Have you ever added trigger extensions or retrieval cords to any of your cams? How was it done? Did it help or just get in the way?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why doncha just not place yer cams so deep?
Most of the time, I don't. There are advantages to shallow placements. You can better examine the quality of the placement for one thing.

Occasionally you'll have a flare in which you can find the best placement deep inside, or possibly the cam just walks too far in.

In horizontals, sometimes you feel better about the placement if the cable isn't over the edge. Thus, you seat it deeply. Large cams clean easily. It's the small ones that can be difficult.

Smaller units can walk deeper from rope movement and thus a extended trigger cord can be useful; except that the lobes will be messed up and you'll have get to in there with your nut tool and fingers.

Try extending the runner to reduce the rope movement. I have never really seen anyone place cords to their cam triggers.