Best ski mountaineering pack?

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking for the same thing. Not that many offerings in the >45L side of things - the Haglofs Rand48 is nice, but almost impossible to find. The Millet Peuterey 50L might also work for you, but again impossible to find.

I have a BD Stealth 45L. It was replaced by the Revelation 45L. An ok pack... but not great.

Millet,Lafuma, Deuter, or North Face all make some sweet ones in what you describe.

Steer clear of mountainsmith, dana, or black diamond.

Wow, I find the Millet, Lafuma, and North Face packs to not fit my back very well. I've had a lot of luck lately with Black Diamond, and I'm looking at Deuter and Marmot for next season.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife just got the 55L Quantum and is quite pleased with it. It expands to the point where she can load and carry vast amounts of gear inside it - but contracts to the point where she can climb steep rock / ice comfortably in it. There is no shovel pocket but there are holders for crampons / tools / skis. I highly suggest checking it out.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/quantum.php

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fan of my Arc'teryx Borea.

Great carry, can remove the hipbelt to slap on a webbing one...side zips makes it easy to organize (think, like a suitcase).

Is about 48 litres, but you can easily lash/secure a pocket, or weave a bungee through the daisies of the flat backpanel.

Osprey Exposure 50

Second for this.

I would stay away from the Osprey packs for ski mountaineering. They have many great features (almost too many) but hate the way the weight is distributed. The pack just simply sticks too far out behind you. If you are packing anything other than standard day touring gear you will hate it. It seems to just throw you on every turn if loaded with more than 15lbs. I have over a dozen packs and hate to get rid of gear I have purchased. I gave away my Osprey.

For big multi-days I like the Deuter guide 45+ w/the new OR crampon bag attached to the outside. (It can hold crampons, ski crampons and ice screws) The Deuter has every option you would want and is fairly light. My standard pack is the Lowe Alpine Vision 25. It's just a sack with outstanding support and compressibility. Nothing fancy and holds gear like is a 35+.

So much of this comes down to fit on your particular body. Go to a reputable retailer or two (like Pro Mountain Sports) and try on some packs loaded, and with skis on them. I'm much more of a hiker than anything else, but almost always prefer the Osprey. I think it has a lot to do with boobs and my build in general. Tvash, your build is more universal to what ski pack designers are designing to than me, so you may fit a lot of them. Then it's about cost and features.

And don't forget about Granite Gear. They are still independently owned and I know they want a piece of the ski mtneering market, so if their packs fit you, keep them in mind. Me, the torso is too short in general.

Happy shopping, and email me if you want some of my help in picking out a pack.