MEC and Shipping?

willstrickland

So with the exchange rates MEC has pretty good prices, the question is: How do you get around the shipping restrictions? Alot of the gear (Black Diamond, etc) they won't ship out of Canda eh, due to mandates from the manufacturers. I could just make a trip to BC, but that's a pretty long haul from Portland just to save a few bucks. Anybody have any ideas?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when i make border runs they are from chilliwack lake up the river and out to glacier. but if you had a good catapault you could fire packages from the road in columbia valley across to the corresponding road on the us side, or you could just hand toss them across from zero avenue in surrey! i hear the border guards are so worried about terrorists now they are so relieved to find you are just smuggling bud they let you go with a hand shake and a kiss on the cheek rolleyes.gif" border="0

The one problem with the friend-shipping idea is that you still get reamed with the 14% tax (7.5 regular, and 7.5 GST (?)). You can get that back at the border crossing duty up to a certain amount. I'd say just go up to squamish or lilloet and make a trip to MEC out of it.

No, BC charges 7% sales tax and there is a Canadian 7% GST (goods and services tax AKA gouge and screw tax). Foreigners like Americans can get their GST refunded at the border if they save theirreciepts. So Will, you come up here, buy a bunch of loot at MEC, then at the border stop by the refund center and get 7% refunds! rolleyes.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by dbb:
The one problem with the friend-shipping idea is that you still get reamed with the 14% tax (7.5 regular, and 7.5 GST (?)). You can get that back at the border crossing duty up to a certain amount. I'd say just go up to squamish or lilloet and make a trip to MEC out of it.

Hey, your math is off Alpine Dave. 7.5 + 7.5 = 15! shocked.gif" border="0