Gas Prices above $3 Again

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And expected to go over $4/gal this summer. On one hand, I hope prices that high will curb demand and result in increased use of public transporation and alternate forms of transportation. On the other hand, it's gonna be expensive to go to drive to da hillz.

How will $4/gal. gas impact your summer plans? Prices like that will make me think twice about where I drive.

And expected to go over $4/gal this summer. On one hand, I hope prices that high will curb demand and result in increased use of public transporation and alternate forms of transportation. On the other hand, it's gonna be expensive to go to drive to da hillz.

How will $4/gal. gas impact your summer plans? Prices like that will make me think twice about where I drive.

people will not increase their use of public transportation. they may forgo a longish road trip for the summer vacation, but more likely they'll do the vacation and just save less (which they don't do enough as it is)

this has no impact on my summer plans. it just means every climb and my summer vacation is more expensive as is daily living.

But that's not the question. My commute = $0 too (bike). Changing commuting habits is quite hard (not impossible, just often impracticle) for a lot of people, so gas costs relating to commuting are somewhat a given.

The question is whether $4 gal. gas will impact your extracirricular driving. I suspect one weekend trip to NCNP takes more gas than most people use in a week of single car commuting.

The average driving commute is 32 miles round trip, or 160 miles per week. Most people still commute solo.

If you take at least one other person, the break even point, in terms of miles driven, for a weekend drive verses the average weekly commute is about 320 miles round trip; slightly further than the distance from Seattle to Leavenworth and back.

It's a good thing to think about when deciding on what your next 'approach vehicle' is going to be.

Since we are on the topic of political maneuvers today... :moondance:

What if gas prices rise now, so that they may be rolled back to the great relief of people and business, right in time for the next presidential election.

Oh wait no. How about all of a sudden, oil is really expensive, so we better stay in Iraq because they have some.

Cheney/Ginrich in 2008.

:eek::crosseye:

On a somewhat related subject I was listening to an interview with Lee Iacocca this morning HERE He says that plug in hybrids are the best thing that will gain the most buyers in the near term. Hydrogen is a great idea for a vehicle, but it's about 25 years out right now.

I think the price of fuel not the desire to be eco will get people to buy these. I'm eventually going to have to do something about my chevy pickup.

I drive a lot. To work, to play, etc... As it is, I'm trying to work up the sack to ride my bike the 25 miles (one way) to work. I've done it before, I'm just being a sissy. I like my coffee and NPR on the way in.

I for one, would love to see $10/gallon gas. It is the only way that we will reform the transportation systems for most of the US. It's the only way we will change our entrenched car culture. MY only regret is that assholes like Exxon and BP will get unbelievably rich while we are at it.

How expensive does gas have to get before the majority of commuters will carpool or use public transportation

a hell of alot more than the 50 or 60$ it takes now for a tank

Yeah I think so to. Which suggests that $4/gallon will not actually affect the average person's driving habits very much. The effect ought to be more pronounced for industries that strongly depend on oil (pretty much everything), and this will lead to higher prices for everything in this country that depends, directly or indirectly, on a mainline fix from the black crack pipe.

Current gas prices have already affected consumer behaviour in a big way. Take a look at Toyota's bottom line and sales volume as compared to GM and Ford and you'll see what I mean. Right here, Seattle voters are screaming for public transportation solutions.

When gas is $5 a gallon, owners of larger vehicles will finally pay triple digits for a tank of gas. THAT, I predict, will get a whole lot of people's attention in a hurry.

It's so much easier to multiply by a round number like $100, no?